FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Down riggers vs Lead Core  (Read 5420 times)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
Re: Down riggers vs Lead Core
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2018, 03:26 AM »
I like using both at the same time when fishing multiple lines.  It helps keep the lines spread out and prevent tangling.  2 leads out the sides at 2-3 colors and 2 riggers off the back at about 40' when the thermocline sets up.

MikeF-NH

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Right on RB1. Try to put larger number of colors on the inside when running 2+ leadcore on one side and run DRs deeper than both to prevent tangles. That said...this all works perfect for bows and salmon that come to the surface when hooked. A big ol' laker bulldogs deep and likes to cross all those lines and make a perfect mess...oh yeah..been there-done that.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Sometimes both at the same time.  Works well for kings.  2-3 colors behind the ball with a spoon.

bassin212

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone, lots of good info.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Sometimes both at the same time.  Works well for kings.  2-3 colors behind the ball with a spoon.

No kidding, I have never tried this.

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2018, 03:09 PM »
No kidding, I have never tried this.

My first king ever was taken this way and I barely knew what I was doing.  They call it a secret weapon rod setup or SWR.  My best king was 24lbs and was also caught on the same rig.   Will be putting it to use in May.  I'm sure it would work for other species.

MikeF-NH

« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2018, 06:48 AM »
its a nice way to target lakers on bottom where you can use your riggers to get you down most of the way  but use the leadcore to get right on bottom without risking your downrigger terminal gear. If I lose a lure and some leader material...its a few bucks. Downrigger weight, terminators, vertical attractor, release...those all add up to more than $100. You  can see the financial reasons to do this setup....

boondox

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2018, 11:37 AM »
If thinking lead core what about snap weights??  like in making your own?? And just fill the rod full of mono them use it for riggers and planner boards ?? As needed for which ever you need at that moment.. snap weights can get the body baits to dive deeper same as lead core and should be able to be used on a planer board?? Some even use snap weights for getting lead core even deeper??  Don't know if you got the book precision trolling from fishing 411 ?? Or the down loads or stickers etc app etc??  I would save money buy some thing like inline eights or rubbers core weights or similar and just place on line and pull behind a planner boaRd ?? Then when you need the riggers you just throw them on it?? Inline weights go in excess of 1 pound and can be daisy chained together it's best to read the fishing 411 app ,book ,etc.. first  before deciding you know your fishing better then me??  If your running diwn riggers in summer or fall when fish are deep that's one thing and snap weights in 10 to 15 fow when fish are up high in spring.. you can even get them away from boat with a planner boaRd.. so my suggestion is why not add dipseys and keep it same as you got now just switch up techniques?? With the other rods cause you could run dipseys with the down riggers if you good at it.. I am not saying drop more in to dipsey rods this minute but just consider doing so later on like a braided line dipsey rod?? Not sure how big your boat is and how many rods per angler your allowed?? We run meat rig and hochies and fly combos for kings on dipsey rods.. any how read the 411 info first..  cause you maybe fishing lead core when you shold fish copper line...   copper dives deeper then lead core..  or even useing lead core when all you need is snap weights.. or dive bombs or dipseys etc... always good to know what your boat is capleable of also pay attenion yo reports of ware fish are locating like 30 down kn 150 fow etc .. and figure how to get it to them according to 411 info..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.