FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What type of snake?  (Read 2897 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
What type of snake?
« on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Saw this snake a week ago while shrooming here in southern new england. anybody have any idea as to what it is? I have seen snakes before but this was the first time i have see, this species and it did flare its neck sort of like a cobra. 

Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: What type of snake?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I should have mentioned that my guess is a Eastern Hog-nosed.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2018, 03:04 PM »
You are correct sir..
Very cool snakes...
Never touched those shrooms.
The ones in the garden were removed with a shovel..

I know you had a tough week.
Hope all is well... :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Thanks Dom.

Much appreciated all around.

Now get out there and find some edibles. I have been eating hen of the woods with everything i cook for almost 2 weeks now. If you like alfredo with chicken or shrimp, add some pan seared or grilled hen. These mushroom work well with everything. Omelets, pasta, sausage, stir fry's, the list goes on. Very very mild flavor and the health benefits are out of this world! 

My wife hates mushrooms but I dried the hen and then ground it up in a coffee bean grinder and tossed it into a shaker. I use this powder when cooking and she has no idea its even there... well she does but not because of texture or flavor. When i had her read the benefits, she agreed to go with it.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I should have mentioned that my guess is a Eastern Hog-nosed.

I’d vote for hog nose too. I’ve never seen one, but I think that the hog nose and the black eastern racers are the only ones whose necks flair out like a viper. Even though we do have true pit vipers here (timber rattlers).

Cool find!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2018, 03:44 PM »
I’d vote for hog nose too. I’ve never seen one, but I think that the hog nose and the black eastern racers are the only ones whose necks flair out like a viper. Even though we do have true pit vipers here (timber rattlers).

Cool find!

Funny you say that. I did some research and it says there are NO timber rattlers here in RI and that they were extinct in 1950. Though, MA and CT do have them their population does not boarder RI. With that said, someone has to find the first one again right? And then, no longer are they extinct. Hope its NOT me. lol
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Funny you say that. I did some research and it says there are NO timber rattlers here in RI and that they were extinct in 1950. Though, MA and CT do have them their population does not boarder RI. With that said, someone has to find the first one again right? And then, no longer are they extinct. Hope its NOT me. lol

That’s funny. My father and his brothers told me they used to find them from time to time in sea coast NH, but that they used to have a ball chasing the black eastern racers. As kids they would chase them in the field by their house, and eventually the racers would turn around, rear up like a cobra, and begin to chase the kids.

The other good snake story my dad had was about an older guy (when they were young) who used to make his living collecting bounties on unwanted animals in NH. He had petitioned the state house for years to get a bounty on timber rattlers. The powers that be kept saying “there’s no rattle snakes in NH”. So one day the “snake man” as they called him showed up at the state house with a burlap bag, and asked about his bounty on rattle snakes. The old line came out “there’s no such as thing as rattlesnakes in NH.” Snake man proceeded to empty his burlap sack onto the state house floor. It was full of rattle snakes. When he dumped them on the courthouse floor he looked at them, following their comment about there being no snakes here, and said to them “well then, you all have nothing to worry about then.” And left the building. I guess he didn’t get to far before he was called back to wrangle the snakes, and collect his newly created bounty.

I know our local biologists are really hesitant to acknowledge the local populations we have of rattle snakes. In addition to creating potential panic from stupid citizens thinking they’re all going to die because of a rattle snake, they also spend winters together in dems with potentially hundreds of other rattlers. If someone knew where they spent the winters they could wipe out a population real quick as ALL the local snakes go to the same den. I personally think they are really interesting. Pit vipers in general are just really neat in my book.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I've mounted a few eastern diamondbacks and have a Florida Eastern Diamond Back that was 5 feet long tanned on the wall. Really beautiful pattern in the skin.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2018, 11:01 AM »
That’s funny. My father and his brothers told me they used to find them from time to time in sea coast NH, but that they used to have a ball chasing the black eastern racers. As kids they would chase them in the field by their house, and eventually the racers would turn around, rear up like a cobra, and begin to chase the kids.

The other good snake story my dad had was about an older guy (when they were young) who used to make his living collecting bounties on unwanted animals in NH. He had petitioned the state house for years to get a bounty on timber rattlers. The powers that be kept saying “there’s no rattle snakes in NH”. So one day the “snake man” as they called him showed up at the state house with a burlap bag, and asked about his bounty on rattle snakes. The old line came out “there’s no such as thing as rattlesnakes in NH.” Snake man proceeded to empty his burlap sack onto the state house floor. It was full of rattle snakes. When he dumped them on the courthouse floor he looked at them, following their comment about there being no snakes here, and said to them “well then, you all have nothing to worry about then.” And left the building. I guess he didn’t get to far before he was called back to wrangle the snakes, and collect his newly created bounty.

I know our local biologists are really hesitant to acknowledge the local populations we have of rattle snakes. In addition to creating potential panic from stupid citizens thinking they’re all going to die because of a rattle snake, they also spend winters together in dems with potentially hundreds of other rattlers. If someone knew where they spent the winters they could wipe out a population real quick as ALL the local snakes go to the same den. I personally think they are really interesting. Pit vipers in general are just really neat in my book.

That is awesome. I am not a snake guy or reptile guy.
Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Hog nose. I used to catch them when I was a kid. I had dozens of them! Mom was thrilled! They had 3 defense strategies.  They would flatten their neck like a cobra and strike at you. If that didn't scare you away they  would play dead by rolling over on their back. It didn't work cuz if you rolled them over the would  roll right back again. When that didn't work they would regerditate their last meal. Nasty stuff. I once had one spit up a living toad. Freaked me out because it didn't have any skin but it was still alive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.