FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catskill fly fishing report, 5/23-5/29  (Read 1318 times)

oatkasut

Catskill fly fishing report, 5/23-5/29
« on: Jun 08, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Got down to the Catskills for my annual fly fishing  trip with my buddy Jim staying at the Creekside Cabins on the Willowemoc in Roscoe right on the stream. Water low but  but with adequate water temps. of  53-66 and with rain only  the last day.We love fishing the Willow and the Beaverkill. Fished the Willow from Livingston Manor to Hazel Road bridge with limited  success which unusual since the Covered Bridge, Museum and Hazel Rd are good producers. No hatches on the Willow to speak of and only got one 19 incher behind the cabin on the 3 rd cast on the first day with a p-Adams, 14. The real fishing where I got 59 trout the next 5 days was the Beverkill especially Cooks Falls and the Lew Beach area. Cooks Falls(Sunoco station) proved interesting where we fished ffom 5-8:30PM on Tuesday. Intally there seemed to be no fish rising or bitting from 5-7:30PM. Got one on a Burt nymph in a seam in deeper water. Then from then on the hatch was on and the fish were active, getting 9 on a 12 March Brown Spinner up  to 16 inches in water that seemed dead  before. Beavers were very acitive and cavorted in front of the fishermen there without being disturbed.   Lew Beach on the Beaver kill proved the hot spot getting fish in the afternoon and evenings. Found a pod of about 40 trout behind me and in 2.5 hours got 27! Used  iso and sulfur emergers and caddis, tan 16 to get them. Green caddis around.  Lew Beach produced another 7  during the afternoon on caddis and BWO when no hatches were happening on Monday My buddy Jim caught more then me  so we easily  caught over 130 fish, all C&R. We ate German Sausages and fixin's all week!.The fishery of the Catskills is really a gem that everyone should experience. Go for it!

PerchEyes

Re: Catskill fly fishing report, 5/23-5/29
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Great report and thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get the time to go.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2021, 04:37 AM »
Sounds like a great time..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

adironzach

« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2021, 05:34 AM »
Awesome trip. Much appreciated sharing

Bartman44

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Glad you had a successful trip, nice catching.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2021, 05:04 AM »
Nice report and sounds like a great trip...h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.