MyFishFinder By Species > Bass

Senko rod

(1/5) > >>

Skipper:
Senkos, Yum Dingers, Dipstick Worms, whatever you call them... What do you guys use for a rod?

I'm thinking something in the 7' range spinning rod, M-MH power, fast taper. I suppose I would stick a Shimano Stradic ST3000FJ on it with 20lb braid.

What are you guys using for this? I do a fair amount of fishing bass in swampy backwaters where few boats dare to venture so my hooksets need to be violent and I must quickly gain control or I loose too many fish in the slop. Huge lilly pad root systems are in the mix and these fish love to dig into them when hooked.

So.... Im looking for a senko rod that is heavy enough to rip fish out of cover, but still light enough to cast the things accurately and feel what I'm doing.

Your thoughts?

jtk2:
I use a med fast for wacky rigging. I love the sensitivity. Its a st. Croix legend tournament. Awesome rod. It would be way to light in my opinion for slop. I use it on edges and open water. I would say you would want at least a med./heavy if your trying to pull fish out of cover if not a heavy. I actually ordered a 7ft medheavy fast rod today. Hopefully be here next week some time. I can post back how it casts senkos when i get it.

Skipper:
Yeah! Post back on a review!

I'm trying to avoid paying another $200+ for a rod that isn't quite right for what I want it for!

I am using a 6' Fenwick HMG MH spinning rod right now. The power is about right, but it's about a foot to short and I think a softer tip would aid in longer casts and less beat up baits.

I think I have the line and reel figured out though... 20lb braid with a 6' 15lb hard fluro leader on a Shimano 3000 series reel. I'm using a symetry, but I think I will put a stradic MgFB on the new rod. I have a feeling the mileage is gonna pile up fast on this setup!

jtk2:
I have a stadic 2000 or 2500 cant remember. They are awesome reels. I used it for everything until i bought and figured out baitcasters. I now use 3 different curados. I love them. 20lb line should be good. And yes i would agree with you that 6 ft. Is to short. The one i have is 6'8" and that could use a couple extra inches. The one i ordered is 7'1" and should be just right for many different applications. St. Croix says its thier spinnerbait and jig rod. But im pretty sure ill be able to throw some plastics with it quite nicely.

Goatskin:
If your fishing heavy cover like you described I wouldd stick with a 7'-7'6" heavy rod. If I'm picturing what your describing right I would also use a baitcaster with alot of drag and alot of power with a flipping stick. You want to rip the fish out of the cover as fast as you can and not give them a chance to turn. When Im fishing heavy slop I rip the bass out and they pretty much surf across the top of the water Im pulling them so hard. A medium or medium-heavy will not give you the power to turn a big girl back from cover like a heavy or xtra-heavy will. I also use 65 lb power pro braid when fishing the junk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version