FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1471925 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #8130 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Thanks guys, I gotta admit them big bass are a hoot on an 8 ft ul with 4 lb test :o

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #8131 on: Apr 12, 2021, 12:11 PM »
Took my boat out for my first fishing this season on Oneida.  Could not find where the perch were feeding.  My depth finder showed the water temperature was 55° in most places.  Hit a shallow rock pile a 1/2 hour before going home.  Hook a walleye there and noticed a couple other walleye following it like they were waiting for the bait to fall out of its mouth.  I have seen this with bass many time but this is the first time for walleye.

When do they put the docks in at Godfrey?   Much easier to launch whne the docks are in.

reeleyz

« Reply #8132 on: Apr 12, 2021, 01:00 PM »
It seems like they normally wait until the week before walleye season opens to put the docks in at Godfrey.

reeleyz

« Reply #8133 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:22 AM »
Cornell gave us an update on the walleye, perch, and bass situation last night.

They gave a conservative estimate of 1.2 million adult walleyes and 2.6 million perch. They said that the largemouth bass numbers have been steady and the smallmouth bass population is starting to increase since the recent declines.

The walleye numbers are not sustainable which is a good reason for a 5 fish limit. There are too many fish for the forage and they expect this to affect the perch population. The walleye average size is declining some and the overall health is not ideal. They are actually above what they would consider the "hay day" numbers.

The perch population is back to a typical historic level according to their sampling from last fall. I would expect this to decline because of the high walleye numbers.

wallyworld

« Reply #8134 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:28 AM »
Thanks for the report Reeleyz  ;)   sure miss the OLA meetings  :-\

filetandrelease

« Reply #8135 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:34 AM »

Thanks Bruce , the OLA reports I receive are nice but we to miss the meetings

reeleyz

« Reply #8136 on: Apr 13, 2021, 06:13 AM »
We will be having the OLA Annual meeting virtually on April 28th. It will be streamed live on YouTube. Similar to years past with a Hatchery report, a Cornell update, and a few guest speakers. There will also be some door prizes awarded from the membership.

I will follow up with more details as we get closer.

mcully

« Reply #8137 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:06 AM »
What is the perch criteria to get counted?

reeleyz

« Reply #8138 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:36 AM »
What is the perch criteria to get counted?

I think they use at least 2 methods but I don’t have the details. I am sure they will discuss them on the meeting.

I feel like their perch numbers are extremely optimistic based on what we saw this winter.

mcully

« Reply #8139 on: Apr 13, 2021, 11:09 AM »
I think they use at least 2 methods but I don’t have the details. I am sure they will discuss them on the meeting.

I feel like their perch numbers are extremely optimistic based on what we saw this winter.
optimistic if over 9" starts the count but we had to move multiple times with the bottom literally covered in 4-5" perch and eyes spitting up young of year perch

Old Timer

« Reply #8140 on: Apr 13, 2021, 12:51 PM »
If the walleye population is too high for the perch numbers why not drop the perch daily take from 50 to 15 for a couple years..?? 

reeleyz

« Reply #8141 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:19 PM »
If the walleye population is too high for the perch numbers why not drop the perch daily take from 50 to 15 for a couple years..??

That would be a battle lowering the perch limit down that far. As Trapper would say, who is going to drive to Oneida for 15 perch?

I think it would take a special situation where the perch population was totally collapsing.

Flukeman

« Reply #8142 on: Apr 14, 2021, 05:37 AM »
It seems like they normally wait until the week before walleye season opens to put the docks in at Godfrey.

Docks were in at South Shore Launch yesterday, so maybe Godfrey will be next.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #8143 on: Apr 14, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Bruce.  Very interesting
Nice job findin em

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8144 on: Apr 14, 2021, 06:41 AM »

that wouldn't lower the walleye population and not correct the issue......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.