FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Crappie" Stories  (Read 9567 times)

lilwill19

"Crappie" Stories
« on: Mar 23, 2004, 09:02 AM »
Anybody have any interesting Crappie stories of how they landed the big one? I do.
I was fishing for well whatever would bite on a deep tree.  I was using two rods, one with a nightcrawler which was sitting near the bottom, and the other rod i was jigging.  The nightcrawler line bent over like it had been snagged on the tree.  I pulled up and just felt dead weight like a tree branch, so I put it to the side while i reeled in a small bluegill with the other rod.  My grandfather and buddy were along that day in the boat.  As I unhooked the small gill, I noticed my other rod to still be bent but jumping up and down.  I grabbed it, set the hook and reeled in a 16 1/4"  1lb 13 ounce crappie.  I could not believe it.  Its hanging in my families hardware store, if you want to see it. 
Fish On!!!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: "Crappie" Stories
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I was rigging up my rods one night for some Coleman Lantern fishing off a road culvert / tube. Rigged up one pole with a bobber and Fathead Minnow and let it dangle off the end of the tube while rigging up the other pole with weight and a worm for Bullhead. Before I could finish the second pole the first was bouncing. I caught the largest Crappie I have ever seen with less than 4 feet of line out. It's nose to tail length was longer than the width of my 5 gallon bucket. Caught one Bullhead and that was it for the evening. The Crappie made the Bullhead, which was also a keeper, look little.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

lilwill19

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2004, 10:36 AM »
Nice Story, isn't that weird how they bite when you least expect them to?
Fish On!!!

Fish Monger

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2004, 11:36 AM »
The largest one I have ever caught was while I was trolling 300 feet of line with a large silver and orange Swedish Pimple. I saw my pole bend and stay that way. We slowed the motor and as I reeled in it felt like a nice pile of weeds wrapped around my lure. About half way in I spotted a wide open mouth coming at me through the water. He turned sideways and laid down the whole way in without a fight.

Somers

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2004, 12:06 PM »
My favorite day was last year on an NYC res.  Got to the spot just before dark and a thunderstorm rolling in.  Non Stop action for an hour and a half w/ many double headers.  Ended up w/ 20 fish all 13-16" and a few bass thrown in for good measure.

My favorite story is when I brought my GF to the same spot a year earlier.  We were catching well (not as good as above) and she gets one over 2#.  I attending to my own fish for a moment and I hear her start yelling about the crappie.  I hadn't really noted it's size at this point until I saw it flopping down the bank toward freedom.  My GF would have put some labs to shame w/ the wet retreive she pulled on that fish. lol.

reelcharacter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2004, 11:14 PM »
Sommers,

Glad you referred to "her" later on in your post, thought you were fishing with your Grand Father at first.  :)

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Somers

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:53 AM »
reel, it's a good thing she doesnt read the boards or I'd be in the dog house for slipping up and not referring to her as my fiancee.  I'm just glad she fishes at all.  SHE asked me where we're going to try this weekend and for what.

nuke1neil

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Couple years ago me, and a couple fishing buddies were doing the night crappie deal over a large submerged tree in about 20 ft .Fishing was slow until my buddy sets the hook on one.He says"I got one on but I think he's got me wrapped on the branches".He kept steady tension on it and started to gain some line.I looked over the side and down through the eerie glow of the underwater light,I saw a huge prehestoric looking head coming up slowly through the illuminated mess of branches.I said"dude,you have a monster musky on!!!!!"The musky swims out of the branches,and starts heading away from us toward the shore,following the trunk of the downed tree.My buddy is hanging on,but really not influencing the fish whatsoever.The musky turns when it gets near the shore and starts heading back towards us and the branches.I grab the net (a little smaller one than you would want),and as the fish swims by I wait til he gets right beside the net and hoist him up and into the boat.We can't believe our eyes,as the musky is 38 to 40 inches.My buddy caught it on four lb line with a 1/32 oz.jig from out of a tree.Also we noticed later the net had a nice bend in it which we decided to not straighten,as a reminder of that night.By the way,he released the fish back into the tree.

lilwill19

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:16 AM »
NUKE1Neil
So that story is true, I thought RB made that one up.  Good story, and thats something that the muskie's teeth didnt get through the 4 lb test.
Fish On!!!

nuke1neil

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:00 PM »
That's probably the ONLY one that's true.

suskymusky

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2004, 05:50 AM »
The first time I went icefishing my friend was showing me fish on the flasher.I set my depth and started jigging.Being a river fisherman I set the hook hard when I got a bite.I missed him, and when I reeled in I had lips on my jig.This happened a few times until my friend laughed and told me just to lift the jig when I felt a bite.I ended up getting 10 nice crappie, and two with no lips.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

lilwill19

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:23 AM »
Funny story.  Crappies are sometimes referred to as "paper-mouths."  That is exactly why.

Neil.
RB or you find a boat yet?
Fish On!!!

nuke1neil

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2004, 12:44 PM »
No,I'll have to tag along with you in the mean time!!!

lilwill19

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Sounds good, I hope to get out ASAP!!! I have to get my boat registered in my name first and thats a little bit of money for a college student to come up with.  I think to transfer my name to the boat its like 150.00 but i am not sure on that.  Ill let you know when I get the tags.  The boat is ready, I uncovered two weeks ago when I was home from school.
In the mean while get your practice in, I feel a good fishin year ahead!!!
This year is the year I beat RB in the Crappie Wall of Fame!!!
Fish On!!!

reelcharacter

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:20 PM »
reel, it's a good thing she doesnt read the boards or I'd be in the dog house for slipping up and not referring to her as my fiancee.  I'm just glad she fishes at all.  SHE asked me where we're going to try this weekend and for what.

Sommers,

Hold on to her, she sounds like a Keeper. (Don't let her see the post or realize that all fiances are not like her).  :)

I still remember taking my young wife out with the boys once. She got the only bite and I (way too exited-ly) told her to set the hook, set the hook, which she had no idea of what I was talking about. I could not believe she had missed the fish, let her know it and she has not been fishing with us since . . .       . . .Yeh, I know, I blew it . . .

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.