FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Monster Crappie  (Read 4202 times)

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Monster Crappie
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:02 AM »
Monster Missouri Crappie Could Set All-Tackle Record

FULTON, MO—Missouri angler John Horstman was fishing a private Callaway County lake on April 21 when he boated a 19-inch black crappie. He didn’t fully realize how big the fish was, however, until he got home and weighed it.
"It went a little over 5 pounds on that scale, so we got kind of excited," he says. "Until then we thought it probably weighed around 4 pounds."

Soon, the state fisheries programs supervisor confirmed the fish’s weight at 5.02 pounds, making it a new Missouri record. The previous record was set in 1967, when Ray Babcock of Independence, Missouri, caught a 4-pound, 8-ounce slab from a farm pond in Clay County. The state record white crappie is a 4-pound, 9-ounce fish caught by Samuel Barbee in 2000.

But the story doesn’t end there. Horstman’s fish is also being considered for the IGFA all-tackle record. Two 4 1/2-pound fish are currently tied for the spot.

Horstman’s slab is still alive and swimming--to Bass Pro Shops. It will be kept in quarantine and eventually go on display in an aquarium at Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Springfield.

For more information about Missouri’s state-record fish program, visit http://www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/ and click on "Fishing." Next, click on "Fish and Fishing," and then click on "Fishing records - pole and line."
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

bigdave1018

Re: Monster Crappie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:45 AM »
truly an awesome speciman. ive seen 1 over 16 inches and i couldnt believe the size of that one. congrats john and thanks camo for the pic.

jdjyoung

• Get em while you can
Re: Monster Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:18 PM »
 Holy crap what a SLOB.

Never seen anything like it before.

Thanks for the post and picture!!!

JD
I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day of work anytime!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.