FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What was this guy thinking?  (Read 4770 times)

fishon

What was this guy thinking?
« on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:16 AM »
I just saw in this morning's paper that an"icefisherman" was rescued on Sunday, 3/28/04, in Sodus bay after he fell through the ice at about 7:00 am.  2 people who lived nearby had to push a boat onto the ice to rescue the guy.  After all the warm weather and rain we had, that's really pushing the limits of safety and common sense.
Good luck.
Norm

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: What was this guy thinking?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:20 AM »
My Dad was there and talked with the man. Dad told me that the man was catching large perch and wanted more. He left the bait shop and soon after the man was in the drink.

Dad told me there was about 12 inches of honeycomb ice.

I only have one thing to say... "Crazy"

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:27 AM »
uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................DUH!!! the things people do for just a few more fish! must not realize you can get 'em right off shore!

deerslayer92163

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2004, 12:31 PM »
just read an article in the plattsburg press republican an elderly canadian couple were rescued from lake champlain mon they started out fishing in vermont and were rescued in new york got caught on an ice flow the officials are thinking about chargeing them with reckless endangerment takes all kinds

Utes

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2004, 12:38 PM »
The problem is that these people arn't thinking.  It really pi**es me off too, because then some guy/girl has to put their life on the line to rescue them. What the FFFF , are these peoples IQ's really that lowwwwww?? :-\

reubenpa

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2004, 12:54 PM »
all I have to say is    DDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::)
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

madbomber

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2004, 02:30 PM »
get a boat  ;)
MADBOMBER

ajwiez2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:03 PM »
I guess you could call it  ICE FISHING MALIARIA it just makes some people crazy in the head and gives them a fever that is hard to bring under control.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2004, 05:56 AM »
What about these guys that posted on Iceshanity using a canoe to get to solid ice and then climbing out to fish??? How freakin crazy is that? Or wading out to the solid ice with waders on? If your that stupid maybe you should suffer your fate and make the world a smarter place. "Can't fix Stupid".  And then these people complain when the get charged to get rescued.

eyedoktr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:12 AM »
Just remember........there are no lifeguards in the gene pool.
Pete Lewis

walleye_1

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:03 AM »
SUPERX2 - Ease up with yourself dude. I'm one of those 'stupid' people that has waded out to the solid ice on occasion. When we wade out we're going out 10 yds. or so through water 2 ft. deep tops. The ice we've gotten on to is at least a foot thick. Nothing stupid or unsafe about it. Even if the shoreline was to erode more, when we were out fishing, we know the area and could wade back in as its shallow for a long ways. Every situation is different. The 'stupid' people are the ones that take chances on ice that they know is bad. 

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:40 AM »
What about the people that follow your example?  Not everyone knows the area like you might.   

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:44 AM »
SUPERX2 - Ease up with yourself dude. I'm one of those 'stupid' people that has waded out to the solid ice on occasion. When we wade out we're going out 10 yds. or so through water 2 ft. deep tops. The ice we've gotten on to is at least a foot thick. Nothing stupid or unsafe about it. Even if the shoreline was to erode more, when we were out fishing, we know the area and could wade back in as its shallow for a long ways. Every situation is different. The 'stupid' people are the ones that take chances on ice that they know is bad. 
Seems like a high risk for the reward that's all.  Something goes wrong and your a memory.  That cold water is no joke and it just seems I read about alot of people that take it for granted. 

walleye_1

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2004, 12:11 PM »
I really don't feel like it's risky. Trust me, if I did, I wouldn't do it. We take the usual safety precautions with us (rope, throwable device, and picks) just in case. Hopefully if other people do it they would do the same. 

nyoutdoors

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2004, 11:54 PM »
Saturday, some of the folks at NY-outdoors.com were supposed to get together and do some ice fishing.  Well, most of us ended up going, but never met up.  I did meet up with one other member, and she and I ended up pulling a 78 year old guy out of the boat launch on Canadarago Lake.  I headed over to give him a hand geting his gear up on shore, but he wouldn't wait for me.  He stepped right on some broken ice, and started sinking.  (The ice was broken by people with 4-wheelers!!)  By the time we got the guy out, he was up to his chest in water.  That was a scary situation.  I was just glad we were there and were able to get him out.

Al
Fishing, hunting, camping.....who says life has to be hard?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.