FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How big of whitefish?  (Read 12863 times)

johndeere540

How big of whitefish?
« on: Jul 09, 2007, 01:52 PM »
How big of whitefish do you guys catch? Here in northern Vt the biggest I have caught or seen is probably about 16 inches. How big do they get? In the rivers we have two different shades of whitefish. Dark ones and more silver/white ones. Whats the difference? Just curious.

Neptune

Re: How big of whitefish?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2007, 02:43 PM »
Check this out... http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=9239.0

this thread has some good examples of how much they very...

Dark whitefish are Rocky Mountain/Mountain Whitefish, Silver lighter ones are Lake Superior/Lake Whitefish...

Good Fishing!

mttrout

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Google search tells me that you guys have 2 species of whities in VT, lake whitefish and 'round' whitefish. Mountain whities are restricted to the western part of the continent.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/fisheries_list.cfm

I have not caught lake whities, but when fishing for mountain whities I'd say 17 is nice, and anything over 18 is a hog. MT state record is 21.14 inches and over 5lbs. I have caught several this season over 17 and one right at 20.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/fishingmontana/fishrecords.html

Hope this helps!

fish_finder

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2007, 04:13 PM »
we get them here in the winter up to over 20 inches, biggest i seen was 21 but they are lake whitefish
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

johndeere540

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I just looked at our Vt state records and the record whitefish was 9 pounds and a few ounces. Man, Ide like to catch one of those ones. They must have come from the lake. I forgot to look.

JimP

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2007, 03:35 AM »
We do not have any species of true whitefish in VT rivers or streams. The only place I know of any occurring is in Lake Champlain. What most call "whitefish" here are really Fallfish, not true whitefish. I've caught most species of whitefish, at one time or another in my life. Only ones I know of in VT are Lake Whitefish and the only place they occur is in Champlain.  -Jim

Drifter_016

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:17 AM »
When I lived in Ontario I used to fish whities in Geogian Bay of Lake Huron. I have personally caught them just over 10# with the record at 13#
I have caught some in Great Bear Lake NWT up to about 7#, but I know there are bigger in the lake.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2008, 11:08 AM »
We have quite a few different species of whitefish in AK.  The round has to be the most common, but the humpback whitefish is by far the biggest!  There's a skin mount humpback on the wall at Fish and Game's office in Fairbanks that is over 14 lbs.  THis beast is all body and no head, not to mention a huge "hump" on it's back.  I think most folks would assume it's a carp! :D

Neptune

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:33 AM »
We have quite a few different species of whitefish in AK.  The round has to be the most common, but the humpback whitefish is by far the biggest!  There's a skin mount humpback on the wall at Fish and Game's office in Fairbanks that is over 14 lbs.  THis beast is all body and no head, not to mention a huge "hump" on it's back.  I think most folks would assume it's a carp! :D
Barleydog, from what I've been told the Humpback Whitey is very closely related to the Lake Whitefish.  I call the Lake Whitefish, "Pinhead fish" because their shoulders and belly grow wider/bigger than the back of the head/gil plates.  They are odd looking fish, but oh so good smoked!!!

Good Fishing!

woodsman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2009, 03:42 AM »
Here's a couple of pictures of whitefish I caught this past winter on Lake Simcoe.

A 25" whitefish.

A 27" fish on the left.

Although decent fish the size of these didn't raise any eyebrows on this lake.

Rick
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

Neptune

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I've seen alot of nice Whitey's posted that come out of Lake Simcoe and some great video of people catching them also.  We have tons in Flathead but people only target them in the mid/late summer when they school up and can be caught by the 100's in a short time.  Most are in the 2-3lb range.  Our state record is about 10lb 8oz or something close to that...

Nice fish man!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.