FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night time Laker ...  (Read 2213 times)

Wyoming Ice

Night time Laker ...
« on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:25 PM »
 Hey Kids, I know a lot of you are soft water fishing. But I would like to ask you guys if you have ever caught macs @ night through the ice? I was @ the gorge this weekend and caught a 35" mac @ almost 9:00 PM. Early morning, always, but at night. ??? ??? ???  :tipup:

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
Re: Night time Laker ...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:33 PM »
In June, Fremont upper boat dock at 9:30 p.m., but never through the ice. nice fish. Pics??  ;D

moski

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:36 PM »
i have got lakers after dark a few times, and it was when i was goin for ling! nothin huge but they were nice ones!
the mack attack is on

bigred1

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Smaller Mac`s hold in the deep water for protection during the day (as do ling).  When the light starts to go they move into the shallows to feed on smaller fish that live in closer to the banks, ie. small mouth bass, chubs, white suckers etc..  That is the reason that you catch the smaller ones at night.  The ones in the morning are ones that are moving to the depths for the day.

The big boys on the other hand just go were the feed is when they are hungry.  They don`t have to feed on smaller prey so they can stay deep or go shallow, what ever the need is at the time.  I have caught several decent fish very close to the shore in the fall after the water temperature has equalized and the bigger ones put on the fall feed bag.

I don`t clam to be a fish biologist, just my thoughts on it.

Fish4Brains

• WYOICER on Ice Shanty
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I have caught smaller lakers several times at night fishing for ling.
If we aren't talking fishing; I have nothing to talk about!

troutguy1377

• Waiting to walk on water again
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:02 AM »
I have caught a few at night while fishing the mouth of a feeder stream in about 5 to 8 feet of water.
all were on small suckers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.