FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Zebra mussel program  (Read 4421 times)

augergas

Re: Zebra mussel program
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I occasionally fish at small lake in Colorado near Julesburg called Jumbo. They are pretty agressively inspecting boats there as well. They don't block the ramps until 7AM but they will not let you launch or leave until your livewells are empty and they get in the boat and look. They go over your boat pretty well. There are no added fees for inspection. I've heard stories about those lakes in the metro areas like Cherry Creek and Horsetooth. Whole different fee structure and they only let in so many boats. In all honesty, I'm not sure I'd own a boat if I had to go through all of the stuff they do in those metro areas just to go fishing.

BTW, Colorado does have Zebra mussels in Pueblo. Colorado's inspection program will help the surrounding states by keeping their boats clean, as will Wyoming's. I don't suppose it's possible to keep them from spreading but I do think it is a worthwhile effort. In fact, I'm all for the Wyoming program but I do resent the NR fee structure.

Daffy

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2010, 04:59 PM »
I don't like the fee structure either, almost like making out of state sportsmen carry too much of the load. Just like the Flaming Gorge pass, which I still think is insane but at least not it is a little better. Maybe at most one quarter of the money collected for the thing is actually spent in Wyoming, They changed the rules some to where if you did not use an improved road to get to the lake on you did not have to pay, even if you went in on an improved road and did not stop or parked something like 500 yards from the road, you did not need a pass... This information was very well kept guarded (Forrest Service people did not have information to hand out, there was no information to pass out where the passes are sold) and that Really ticks me off. What upsets me is that a guy that takes his kids out to shore fish on the same two track dirt road that his dad took him fishing on, (not) knowing is paying just as much as a guy with a 30 foot cruiser, using the Boat ramp, flush toilets, courtesy dock etc etc.
I posted about this on BFT and all I got was "its ONLY $30 quit being so cheap!", and "if you don't like it go somewhere else!". And that is exactly why I am done posting there. MFF and Iceshanty are both enjoyable and informative and I appreciate you guys...
Now I will get off my soap box before I fall off heh. LBD

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Daffy,
Glad to have you aboard. It's a good group of guys here on MFF.

minnowguy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I went through a check station on the way to Barry's landing and the experience was quite pleasant. They have a park ranger there to go and retreive any boats that dont stop to get checked. MG.

lingrus

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Marv

How was the fishing?

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

mallardmuncher

« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Marv

How was the fishing?

Very curios if the small mouth are hitting good yet at Barry's!

double-aught

« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2010, 08:02 AM »
the dammed things ruined the lakes i grew up on.
they took the bottom out of the food chain- they filter out the phytoplankton, which used to be eaten by tiny shrimp, which in turn were eaten by baitfish, which were eaten by gamefish.
whatever you can do to keep them out of wyoming is worth it, never mind the inconvenience.
personally, i think a lot of the blame goes to BASS tournement fishermen. they run from lake to lake, weeds hanging off their trailers and water in their livewells and bilges.
i think tournement anglers should have to pay a special permit fee to the state to help control invasive species of all kinds.

minnowguy

« Reply #22 on: Jun 06, 2010, 03:17 AM »
We only got to fish for a couple hours because of the weather but we caught one suagar, 2 crappies which are starting to spawn, and 2 smally's. No live bait just a jig. Water temp was just hitting 60 in the shallows M.G.

propnut57

« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Hello all, I wanted to introduce myself.  I live near the Flaming gorge,and fish mainly for Kokeanee.  A friend told me about this site,thought I would check it out.  As for the AIS program,it's in full force here. Not to many complaints from what I have been told.  It seems that mainly the out-of-state boaters are complaining  the loudest.

Tight lines and Calm  seas
Chance Favors a Prepared Mind

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Welcome to the site Propnut, I think you'll like it here, I know it's way early yet but pretty much all the guys you meet here are also on the sister-site Iceshanty (there's a click on at the bottom of the page) May as well sign up and follow the Fall migration there when we go.  We all keep our same screen-handles over there too. ;D  Don
                                                                  LT MFF/Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

augergas

« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2010, 08:39 AM »
I did get checked this weekend. There was a crew of three college aged kids working the front gate. They quizzed me on what water my boat had been in (It's been at Glendo since May 1) and let me on through. Sounds like they will go over a boat really well that is from an area of concern. They just checked to see if the plug was out and let me on through.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I don't mind paying the fee, I'm just glad the $$ is going for people manning the check stations  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.