FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: summer olympics  (Read 6560 times)

fastribs85

summer olympics
« on: Aug 15, 2004, 11:22 AM »
hey anybody watching and if you are what events have you most interested
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Jigwiggler

Re: summer olympics
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Yes I've been watching.  Tuned in to the mens gymnastics and womens swimming last night.  I couldn't turn it off. :o  Great competition!!  Favorites for me are the field events particularly shot put, discus and hammer throw.  After competing in these events myself in high school it is really impressive to me to see what some of these athletes can do ( and kind of humbling ;D ).  Anyway looking forward to the throwing events. 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2004, 02:06 PM »
At halftime in basketball puerto rico is killing the usa 49-27 :'( But I guess that's because basketball players from here can't shoot anymore like they used to because they are all fancy dancy dunks and passes. Just goes to show you how poor our players are anymore.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2004, 03:27 PM »
At halftime in basketball puerto rico is killing the usa 49-27 :'( But I guess that's because basketball players from here can't shoot anymore like they used to because they are all fancy dancy dunks and passes. Just goes to show you how poor our players are anymore.

That is a big part of why I have never watched an entire professional basketball game.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Well, puerto rico won the game by like 18 points. The funny thing is puerto rico isn't even supposed to compete for a medal.
Boy the  USA basketball team stunk it up ;D

Michael Phelps (USA) won a gold medal in some swimming competition last night, and qualified for the finals for one today, the 200 meter freestyle.
He set the world record last night in something.
Look for phelps to win at least 7 gold medals is what the experts say.

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2004, 04:37 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the NBC coverage really stinks??  I am tired of watching ping pong and badmitten in the summer olympics.  It is kind of boring watching a bunch of guys riding around on ten-speeds.  Boxing is kind of dull to watch.  What's the point in seeing two guys beat the snot out of each other?

The swimming and gymnastics are cool to watch, but let's see some of the less popular stuff too.  Where is the archery and the shooting??  I haven't seen one javelin thrown or one shot-put hurled yet!!  I want to see some pole vaulting and triple jumps!!

Dream teams??  ::)  Give me a break.  I hate it that the professional athletes are allowed to compete in the olympics.  Let's get back to the amateurs that care about the sport and not grandstanding for a paycheck! 

That Puerto Rico/US basketball game was a joke!  We missed d**n near every three pointer that was thrown!  Talk about turn-overs...  This is supposed to be a DREAM TEAM?!?!  I have seen better games played by grade school kids in summer community leagues!

The olympics need some serious reform: no more pro athletes, better judging (just ask Blaine Wilson), and better televised coverage.

With satellite technology, there is no reason why we can't have special temporary channels that are dedicated to showing complete coverage.  I am tired of seeing just the things that NBC wants us to see during prime-time.  Who cares if Katie is having a bad-hair day!  Bob Costas is a wanna be sports announcer...

We are in day two or so and NBC is showing finals in certain events already!  What happened to preliminary rounds?  How is one supposed to settle on a favorite athlete and root for them throughout the competition if all NBC is going to show is the final round?  I want to watch the events from first round/heat to the final!!  >:(

Bring on the Winter Olympics...  they are much better anyway.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Well, puerto rico won the game by like 18 points. The funny thing is puerto rico isn't even supposed to compete for a medal.
Boy the  USA basketball team stunk it up ;D

Michael Phelps (USA) won a gold medal in some swimming competition last night, and qualified for the finals for one today, the 200 meter freestyle.
He set the world record last night in something.
Look for phelps to win at least 7 gold medals is what the experts say.

Yeah but did you see the women's swimming last night?   :o  Talk about close, 13 hundreths of a second seperated gold and silver in side by side lanes!  The US taking silver and giving the hands down favorite a run for her money.

Cider, I couldn't agree more. 
     What is up with the Jap judge disallowing Wilson's Pommel Horse routine right before the competition!  Too dangerous my _ss, it's not like they hadn't seen it before.  I have too have satellite TV and about 500 channels that are either "blacked out in your area" or airing total nonsense.  They could be broadcasting each event from start to finish on its own channel.  Very poor coverage as a whole.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2004, 06:51 PM »
It would be nice if they would show the entire gymnastics events and not just certain apparati and certain countries.  I want to see all the countries competing in the all the events.

We watched the men last night and they negelected the vault for the most part, showed very little parallel bars, and only one or two floor routines.  Seemed like the focus was on the US high bar and rings events.  What was shown was mostly US or the Japanese and Chinese on the high bar!!

I think the men's finals are on tonight.  I hope they show every team competing at all events.  :-\

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2004, 07:26 AM »
i personally love watching the underdogs win medals in any sports anywhere but at the olympics on center stage all the more enjoyable. some of these countries start training these kids as soon as they can walk!!!!!!!! they have been training and doing their quote routine for many years for hours at a time. makes you wonder about the definition of the word amateur huh? its sad what little zombies they have become you think?

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Cider - the track and field events are usually at the end of the olympics so you'll have to wait a few days to see that. 

I think the coverage has been OK.  On my satellite dish I get 5 or 6 different channels that carry events throughout the day.  It's a pain in the A** trying to find which events are on which station and at what times.  CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, USA, NBC and a special NBC program channel (this was added just for the Olympics) all have different events at different times of the day.  I spent a lot of time this weekend with my 3 year old watching different events, Team Handball, Diving, Soccer, Gymnastics, Cycling, Boxing, Swimming, Ping-Pong, Tennis, Field Hockey and Archery.  Oh, I almost forgot the Women's Beach Volleyball  ;)!  My three year old really liked the diving and the soccer.  He was asking to see it every night whether it was on or not.  At least he is getting exposure to a variety of sports.  Who knows, maybe he will be an Olympian one day!

My wife was complaining about the gymnastics coverage too.  She would have liked to see more of the teams compete, not just the favorites for the medals.  I'm personally not a big fan of gymnastics, but those guys on the rings are incredible.  I'm looking forward to some waterpolo and more team handball.

As for the basketball garbage I'm glad the so called "Dream Team" got spanked.  These clowns are nothing but a bunch of punka** criminals.  Iverson should be doing time not on the court!  I can't stand watching the basketball now that they let the NBA players in.  I watched the Women's Basketball and got a much better show.  They were passing and running plays and making a lot of 3-pointers.  That was how basketball should be played. 

Anyway, I always look forward to Olympic years both summer and winter.  I prefer winter games though.  Just my 2 cents  ;D!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2004, 03:00 PM »
I've been pretty glued to the softball, and swimming. CBC here in Canada rocks for coverage.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

fastribs85

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2004, 09:24 PM »
coverage ok but like you guys said cant wait for winter olympics love the skiing and luge skeloton and bobsled and love the hockey wish i had seen the archery like the gymnastics they scare the hell out of me jus t seeing what they can do wish i could see the diving and more swimming
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.