FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Super line, Power baits?  (Read 3435 times)

Stink Bait

Super line, Power baits?
« on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:04 AM »
I have been looking at some of the super lines and power baits out there and was wondering if anyone has been using them? I am thinking about trying some of the 65# test Spiderwire stealth but I have read about it sometimes cutting into the spool and breaking poles. I am sure I could prewrap a few yards of regular mono to keep it from cutting into my spool (which I am pretty sure is stainless anyway) but I was wondering if anyone has been using any of these super lines and can tell me how well they work. We have some really big cats around here, I have had my 20# test  broken 3 times in the last 2 weeks(lol made my 808 look like a fisher price rod and reel). we had an 87 pounder and a 100 pounder caught out here in the lake behind my house last year on jugs. So I could definitly use this super line. Also, I have been thinking about using this new powerbait berkley has out called Gulp. They make a chicken liver brand that looks pretty good and would be a whole lot less mess than real livers.  Anyone tried it?

Trophy Hunter639

Re: Super line, Power baits?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Wow stink bait you got blues or flatheads? i live in manitoba and we do have large channels but i dream of those huge blues and flatheads!!! 8)

Stink Bait

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:38 AM »
I live in Oklahoma and we have 3 main catfish species: Chanel catfish, which are yellowish and look pretty much like a blue but they have a rounded anal fin instead of flat like a blue. Blue catfish ( I call them blue channel and are my favorite to eat) which you can destinguish by the flat anal fin and blue color,, And the Flathead catfish which does not have a forked tail as the others do, and they are freckled or as we call them here aploosa or piebald. The flatheads are the favorits of the noodlers or hand grabbers. Our record  was broken last year for blue catfish (on a rod and reel) with and 87 pounder.

Stink Bait

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2004, 01:06 AM »
After thinking about it, I remembered that those fish I told you about were not caught on jugs. The 87 ponder was caught on a trot line (about 300 yards from my house) and the 100 pounder was caught on a limbline. I was looking at the unresrticted records (meaning caught on something other than a rod and reel) for Oklahoma and saw that the record blue is 118# (caught last year) and the record flathead is 106# (also caught last year). Oklahoma has some really liberal fishing regulations, if you can figure out a way to catch a fish, it is probably legal to do it here, lol.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2004, 01:06 AM »
cool I'm a hardcore(big) channel cat fisherman I love 20+lb channels but do want to go 12 rounds with a monster blue or flatty!!!!!! Oh ya those noodlers are nuts!!! 8)

Stink Bait

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2004, 01:11 AM »
Yeah, we got some big cats down here but I would love to go just 1 round with one of your guys moose with my 3006, lol.

Redneck

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Never tried the super lines but the power baits I have I had a hard time keeping them on the hook. I tried cheese colth with them but never had any luck. I do use them in my minnow trap work get for minnows and crawfish
Redneck

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2004, 09:42 PM »
this is my final answer!!! ;D ;D ;D  spiderwire stealth is the best line ever!!!!... awesome line in MHO....super limp...... and awesome hook setting.... i've tried them all...and as far as chewing up guides and reel...forget about it...the teflon coating sets this line apart from ALL others...give it a try....i am convinced.....grump 8) 8) 8)

Stink Bait

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2004, 03:34 PM »
Yeah, after reading about it and hearing all the testimonials I am convinced that the spiderwire steath is what I want to try. Only problem is my local bait shop don't carry it (I just checked an hour ago). Oh well, Walmart here I come, once again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.