FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Yellowstone Challenge Catfish Tourney-(Tourney Director Doublehaul)  (Read 4639 times)

doublehaul

Here's the final results to include some event pics. Thanks for the support on I.S. and Myfishfinder.com. Hope the warmwater season treats you all well. Good fishing and tight lines.

The Complete results of all the teams will be published on the front page of the website when the tournament article is completed.  Fishing was solid for a lot of teams at the "Challenge" as nine teams weighed in over 20 lbs. and the entire top 20 was in double digits.  In the meantime here are the 24 teams out of 42 that weighed in fish from this past weekend.

1. Robert Tallent, Forsyth, MT. - Gerald Tallent, Forsyth, MT    33.09 lbs.  (NEW Yellowstone Challenge Record!)
2. Larry Green, Billings, MT. - Art Adame, Ballantine, MT.    30.71 lbs.
3. Rod Seder, Billings, MT. - Kurt Weber, Billings, MT.    27.65 lbs.
4. Ron Ford Sr., Billings, MT. - Ron Ford Jr., Billings, MT.    25.55 lbs.
5. Siler Giles, Billings, MT. - Rick Davis, Billings, MT.    25.18 lbs.
6. Brenner Flaten, Wright, WY. - Chad Dawson, Glasgow, MT.    24.61 lbs.
7. Gage Gordon, Belgrade, MT. – Mike Gordon, Belgrade, MT.    23.93 lbs.
8. Wade Bomar, Billings, MT. – Edward Seiders, Billings, MT.    22.51 lbs.
9. Dave Wise, Billings, MT. – Stephanie Cantrell, Billings, MT.    21.07 lbs.
10. Scott Swanson, Laurel, MT. - Bobby Wise, Billings, MT. 19.59 lbs.
11. Tom Ringo, Ballantine, MT. – Nick Christman, Worden, MT.    17.62 lbs.
12. Brad Cole, Billings, MT. – Eric Wolff, Billings, MT.    15.09 lbs.
13. Kevin Van Donsel, Colstrip, MT. – Ryan Smith, Billings, MT.    14.42 lbs.
14. J.D. Smith, Billings, MT. – Di<k Hovaas, Shepherd, MT.    14.08 lbs.
15. Richard Theis, Billings, MT. – Matt Theis, Billings, MT.    13.14 lbs.
16. Jeff Kilwein, Billings, MT. – Frank Cook, Billings, MT.    12.48 lbs.
17. Ralph Kottke, Billings, MT. – Mitchell Kottke, Billings, MT.    12.29 lbs.
18. Charles Ferguson, Big Timber, MT. – Will Grundhauser, Billings, MT.   11.87 lbs.
19. Kent Hagen, Billings, MT. – Wylie Warneke, Columbus, MT.    11.82 lbs.
20. Blake Gauer, Park City, MT. – Brady Gauer, Park City, MT.    10.61 lbs.
21. Kevin Anthony, Billings, MT. - Bret Anthony, Billings, MT. 9.02 lbs.
22. Gary Cantrell, Billings, MT. - Cory Rigby, Billings, MT. 8.62 lbs.
23. Rod Schye, Columbus, MT. - Blake Schye, Columbus, MT. 2.75 lbs.
24. Jesse Sanchez, Billings, MT. - David Sanchez, Billings, MT. 2.38 lbs.
25th to 42nd place --  0 lbs.

Big Fish Winner:  Robert Tallent -- 12. 42 lbs. (2nd Biggest in Tournament History)

Promoting catfishing in the great plains states

doublehaul

I see this website doesn't auto shrink the 20 pics I just posted. Sorry guys.  ;D ;D ;D

doublehaul

Here's some more information about our tournament circuit.
Montana Cats Tournament Circuit

Montana Cats is proud to fuel your competitive catfish drive every year.  Over the course of the past four years, the MT Cats Tour has grown into one of the finest and most respected of its kind in the entire country.  Our tournaments offer 50 to 80 team fields that continually fill up on a regular basis!  We pride ourselves in bringing you events that are affordable, enjoyable, and profitable.

We offer a very rare catfish circuit.  One that brings you $50 entry fees and 100% GUARANTEED PAY OUTS!!  You don't need to own a boat to fish and find success either, as three of our four events are open to both boat and shore anglers.  Each of our events are coupled with a calcutta, where all fishing teams are auctioned off.  This offers our anglers a chance to put more money in their tourney winning purse.

Our tournaments are spread across Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota and offer you the chance to test your skills on four rivers and a reservoir.  We also felt it was important for you to show your flexibility as an angler, therefore, we offer two morning events, one mid-day event, one night-time event, and one all-night event.  One tourney is held in early spring, two in the pre-spawn, one mid-summer, and the last one in the fall.   

All five Montana Cats events are "Catch and Release" only.  The sustainability of our waters throughout Montana and the surrounding states is a top priority of our organization.  It is our goal to have a zero percent mortality rate at all of our events and safely return every single fish back to the water.   

Yellowstone Challenge

The Challenge was started in the spring of 2007 by Montana Cats Field Staff member Jason Flaten.  The tournament takes place annually on the 1st or 2nd weekend of May on the beautiful Yellowstone River.  Tournament headquarters are stationed out of Huntley, MT.  The boundaries stretch from the mouth of the Bighorn River near Bighorn, MT to the Huntley diversion dam near Huntley, MT.  The 60-team field has been filled every year since the 2nd annual event.  It is not uncommon to see well over 40 Jet Boats lining up for this competitive day out on the water. The 2011 tournament will be BOAT ONLY and trimmed to 50 teams for the first time.  Tyler George, of the Montana Catfish Association, is the current tournament director.   

Milk River Catfish Classic

The Classic is the "grand daddy" of the Montana Cats Tour.  It was started in 2000 by Field Staff member Brenner Flaten and his friend Luke Morehouse.  Over the course of the past 11 years, the Classic has grown into the premier catfish tournament in the region.  It is held annually on the 1st weekend of June in Glasgow, MT.  Boundaries stretch from the Mouth of the Milk near Nashua/Fort Peck to the Juneberg Bridge near Saco.  It is a night-time event that annually boasts a full 80-team field and over $5,000 in guaranteed cash and prizes.  The popularity of this event is evident when the tournament fills up nearly two months in advance and over 300 people regularly show up for the famous "midnight weigh-ins" in downtown Glasgow.

Missouri River Catfish Clash

The Missouri River Catfish Clash is the newest event on the Montana Cats Circuit, and the first to take place in North Dakota. The Inaugural event will be stationed out of Lewis and Clark bridge, four miles west of Williston, ND. It will be held annually on the 3rd weekend of June and will replace the Bighorn Catfish Tournament previously held out of Lovell, WY. Boundaries stretch from Legion Park fishing access in the east to the southern part of Trenton Lake. Like many other MT Cats Tour events, it is boat or shore eligible. The organization fully expects the tournament to explode in year number one, and help fortify the tournament circuit for years to come. Steve Harris, of the Montana Catfish Association, is the current tournament director.     

Monster Cat Roundup

The Roundup is relatively new to the Montana Cats Circuit, it was started in 2009 by Montana Cats Field Staff member Steve Harris.  This tournament is held annually on the 2nd weekend of July on the beautiful Yellowstone River.  Tournament headquarters are stationed out of Sidney, MT.  Boundaries stretch from the Montana - North Dakota state line to the Seven Sisters fishing access site.  It offers a 60-team limit, which Montana Cats fully expect to fill in the coming years.  The Roundup will continue to grow into an event very similar to the Annual Yellowstone Challenge.     

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
Cool Man Cool! ;D ;D
I gotta get up there and try somma dat!

Can you tell us more about what and when for the Wyoming derbys?
I like to fish for all fish!

doublehaul

We acrtually are not running a WY event. Sorry. Maybe next year.

doublehaul

I would like to pose a question for all of those who are on Myfishfinder.com and Iceshanty.com.  If I were to organize a summer catfish tournament how many of you would be 100% sure you would fish the event?

-Tourney format would be something like this.

- Boat or shore.
-1-3 person teams.
-Tournament boundaries-----Must be within the Glendo Reservoir shoreline to include the North Platte inlet on the west end of the lake (but not fishing in the river itself)
-2 rods per person
-shore/boat teams must keep a 50 yard distance between one another during the event.
-Catch and Release weigh in. Fish must not be on stringers, instead transported in large aerated coolers.
-Tournament Hours (brainstorming here) 8 PM Fri. -10 AM Sat. Awards ceremony to be held at 10 AM Saturday.
-Fish may be brought to weigh in station at any time during the tourney hours of operation.
-Also to include a calcutta gambling/social at a local bar on friday night before the tournament.
-Trophies, calcutta payout, and a fun family oriented event to bring together catfish anglers. WHo knows, maybe all the walleye guys would like it.

So, lets get some feedback here. I am passionate about the organization I represent and would like to include at the least one event in WY in the future. Please leave feedback on this thread. Even if you love to catch trout leave some feedback. (nothing against trout guys)

Thanks a bunch everyone for your continued support. Looking forward to some more future reports and pics across the state here on MFF.

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
I would be in for it. ;D

You might be in for a shock if you advertise in this region. After running my"voluntary catfishing survey" the past 2 months I am surprised at how many serious catfish anglers fish Glendo.

I think it would be a hit. 8) I would recommend early September / late August. The town would definitely support anthing that got more intrest that time of year.
I like to fish for all fish!

doublehaul

The idea was Glendo Reservoir with $50 entry fee. 100% payout.  Here are my choices for dates.

June 24th-25th.
July 22nd-23rd.
July 29th-30th.
Aug. 19th-20th
Aug. 26th-27th

doublehaul

Bump- August 26th-27th. By now most are winterizing boats and tucking away fishing rods until next spring. Who's still fishing? Who is brave enough to night fish this tourney? 

I would like to see 30-50 teams in the 1st year. Common guys.....cats aren't that bad.

7lazy77

I would be interested....sounds like it would be fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.