FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Targeting Lake Whitefish?  (Read 6557 times)

Chaki17

Targeting Lake Whitefish?
« on: Jun 10, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Anybody ever target these?  I'm heading to Canada next week and know they are in the lake but have never caught them.  So in between the eyes, pike, and smallies maybe I'll give it a shot.  Was just wondering the technique.  I was going to try using a flasher small jig and wax worm.  Some of the crew have accidentally snagged them while jigging for eyes but no one has ever fished for them outright.  A nice batch of whitefish would be mighty tasty on the table! Any input appreciated.

Huck Finn

Re: Targeting Lake Whitefish?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2011, 02:55 PM »
They should be suspended over deep water, 60' or deeper. You can jig for them with tiny jigs like the ones used for ice fishing, or drop a weighted line with a #6 hook and a live minnow.

There's a thing about targeting Whitefish in the summer, only take the ones you intend to keep out of the water. If you don't want the fish, unhook it without taking it out of the water or it will die... these are very fragile fish when it comes to warm weather.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day... give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.

Chaki17

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Ok thanks for the advise.  I'm leaving thursday so the water should be pretty cold still.  I'll be sure to keep them in the water while releasing them ( if I catch any at all lol). 

jacksmelt

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 PM »
They should be suspended over deep water, 60' or deeper. You can jig for them with tiny jigs like the ones used for ice fishing, or drop a weighted line with a #6 hook and a live minnow.

There's a thing about targeting Whitefish in the summer, only take the ones you intend to keep out of the water. If you don't want the fish, unhook it without taking it out of the water or it will die... these are very fragile fish when it comes to warm weather.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
x2!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Chaki17

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Well I caught one 35 feet suspended over 55 on an ice fishing jig and wax worm.  Didn't try as much as I had planned on but when the eye's are biting tough to care about anything else. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.