FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wyoming Off Topic Thread  (Read 61304 times)

er-e-is

lingrus

Re: Wyoming Off Topic Thread
« Reply #46 on: Jun 04, 2012, 01:43 PM »
I made my first moose scouting trip into area 1 yesterday evening.  I saw 12 moose in 2 1/2 hours, including this trio just before dark. :clapping:

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

bbkyle35

« Reply #47 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:16 PM »
the middle one looks like he might be promising!
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #48 on: Jun 06, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I took this photo off a friend's facebook page (it is a shot from his friend's camera). I think seeing this pic on my camera would have ended my season  ;)

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #49 on: Jun 07, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Another Griz above Lander............

GRIZZLY BEAR SIGHTED NEAR LANDER

LANDER—Officials with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department were recently notified of a grizzly bear sighting in an area northwest of Lander.
Game and Fish Large Carnivore Conflict Coordinator Brian DeBolt said a black bear hunter made the discovery when he reviewed the photographs on his trail camera.
“In late May a black bear hunter looked through his trail camera photos and saw a bear he was sure was a grizzly,” DeBolt said. “The hunter brought the trail camera photographs to the Lander Region Game and Fish Office where it was determined that the bear in the photographs is a grizzly bear.”
DeBolt said this is not the first time a grizzly bear has appeared on a hunter’s trail camera.
“Last year there a grizzly bear was documented on another black bear hunter’s bait site in Sinks Canyon, west of Lander,” DeBolt said. “We have also documented grizzly bears even further to the south, so we know they are in the county and we want backcountry users to be bear aware.”
With the snow melting from the high country, roads and campgrounds are beginning to open and many people are heading to the forest to enjoy recreating in the great outdoors. DeBolt reminds everyone when recreating, visiting, or living in bear country to be aware that they could encounter a bear at any time.
“The most important action when camping or recreating in bear country is keeping all food and attractants unavailable to bears,” DeBolt said. “Attractants to a bear could be things like pop, canned goods, toothpaste, garbage, or dog food. Do not leave any food or attractants outside of our camper, tent, or vehicles. This results in an easy food reward for bears and they will return to get more and this spells trouble. If you are going to recreate in bear country, be bear aware. If you see any bear or unusual bear activities report it immediately.”
“Most of bear safety is plain commonsense,” DeBolt said. “Be alert and watch for evidence of bear activity such as tracks, scat, and diggings and use caution while working or recreating in these areas, especially in and around riparian zones along creeks and rivers. Hikers, fisherman, antler hunters, or anyone else recreating in areas that could be occupied by bears should take precautions and carry a deterrent such as commercially available bear spray.”
DeBolt said anyone camping in bear country is urged to follow these rules:
Chose a campsite free of fresh bear signs; scat, diggings or tracks.
Keep a clean camp. Food and odors attract bears.
Store food, garbage and other bear attractants well away (100 yards) from your sleeping area.
Cook well away (100 yards) from sleeping area. Do not sleep in the clothes that you wore while cooking or handling fish or game.
Remove/pack everything out of the camp site. Don’t burn or bury garbage. Bears will dig it up.
Coolers, backpacks, wooden boxes and tents are not bear resistant. Do not leave food or other bear attractants in open vehicles at trailheads, campgrounds or along forest roads.
Bear resistant storage containers are a good method for storing food and other attractants. They can be purchased at many outdoor shops or in some cases may be rented at outdoor shops and US Forest Service offices.
Use bear-resistant trash receptacles and food storage lockers provided in campgrounds.
Clean barbecue grills and store them so they are unavailable to bears.
If possible, leave pets at home. If you do take your pet into bear country keep it under control at all times.
If you have a bear encounter report that encounter immediately to your local game and fish personnel or local US Forest Service office.
There are many brochures about living and recreating in bear country. Brochures are available at any Game and Fish region office, US Forest Service offices, and at the Game and Fish website http://wgfd.wyo.gov/ To report a bear sighting in the Lander Region contact the regional office at 1-800-654-7862 (in state) or 1-307-332-2688.

bbkyle35

« Reply #50 on: Jun 08, 2012, 02:50 AM »
I'd like to know a little more than just "SW of Lander" but overall not that surprising to me. I'm kinda surprised it took as long as it did for the first conclusive siting. On the bright side, at least nobody should be caught off guard if a dangerous encounter occurs in the area.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

bbkyle35

« Reply #51 on: Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Wish I had more than just my cell phone with me. I want one of these this fall! Should be a monster with 2 months to grow still. Hard to see, but he already has a couple non-typical points, and his brows are about 3 inches.

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
« Reply #52 on: Jun 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Wow. Makes me glad I got the late season whitetail tag.  ;D

jopes

« Reply #53 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:12 PM »
I took this photo off a friend's facebook page (it is a shot from his friend's camera). I think seeing this pic on my camera would have ended my season  ;)

That almost does not look real the way it is holding up the cub.

mulebarnmax

• I'd rather be fishing!!
« Reply #54 on: Jun 20, 2012, 10:48 PM »
But he's on the wrong side of the fence....just like my luck.. :-\
Honestly honey, I'll be home as soon as I get my limit ;-)

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
« Reply #55 on: Jun 21, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Not that i've ever done this but you can carry a slingshot with you and lob rocks on the other side of him to spook him over. Just sayin'.  ::) ;D

er-e-is

« Reply #56 on: Jun 22, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Wind River Archers, Pinedale, Wy. will be having their 3-D Archery Shoot July 22nd and 23rd at Kelly Park, 9 miles up skyline drive. Call Mark - 360-7334 or PM me for more details.

bbkyle35

« Reply #57 on: Jun 22, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Not that i've ever done this but you can carry a slingshot with you and lob rocks on the other side of him to spook him over. Just sayin'.  ::) ;D
I've heard of doing that to get bedded deer to stand for a bow shot, never thought of trying that though

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #58 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Satellite video showing the Fontanelle Fire.  Smoke drifting east over the Winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbqks1Z-gE&feature=player_embedded

er-e-is

« Reply #59 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Cool video, almost 26,000 acres burned, 0% contained.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.