FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gearing up for colorado??  (Read 1956 times)

elthznd901

Gearing up for colorado??
« on: Sep 19, 2004, 01:40 PM »
Hi all, I moved out here about 3 years ago and finally am going to start fishing again. I used to fish alot out east for largemouth bass, but since with moving and time passing I dont have much gear left. So I need to outfit myself again, but my question is from what I'm hearing on these forums and some others is that most people have the best success with light gear and lures out here? Out east Ive never even used less then 12lb test and only baitcasters..lol Most of my fishing will be done in places on the front range and close to the springs(like Pueblo Res.). So what type of gear/lures do you all reccomend for fishing out here? Any help would be great!

TroutFishingBear

Re: Gearing up for colorado??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2004, 02:55 PM »
I'm from colorado also.

I like to use senkos in the 3-5" range. White and watermelon seem to be the best colors. Fish these fairly slowly in colorado for the best success. Also, I like zoom super flukes in the 5". Lemon shad is my fav. color. Fish these much slower and much deeper than most people do.

Also, fairly small bill lewis rattle traps work, along with the old rattling fat raps from rapala if you can find some (discontinued years ago >:() I also like fat raps. Cordell super spots are also good choices, along with cc shads (cordell). Don't use very big in any of these, 1/4 oz. at the greatest.

Try to steer away from spinnerbaits, they don't seem to work as well here on our selective and pressured bass. Ditto with buzzbaits

For topwaters, use rapala skitter pops. Use a size that is not to small or too large.

Just remember to stay away from anything very big like big crankbaits, almost any spinnerbait (1/4 oz. will work), and buzzbaits. DON'T USE THESE!!!!!!

That's all you need for bass success in this state!!

Mackdaddy21

Re: Gearing up for colorado??
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Believe it or not, Colorado has some nice bass. The main thing you have to do is scale down in size. The forage in Colorado is much smaller. I would stick with spinning gear and 6 pound line. If you encounter heavy cover, bump up to 14 pound test fireline.
I like the smaller soft plastic jerkbaits like senkos, flukes, and bass assassins. Like TFB said, they tend to work best fished very slowly, Smaller crankbaits, poppers in the evenings, and smaller spinnerbaits also work well. I disagree with TFB on buzzbaits. They can work very well here at times, but not all that often. Scale down and you will have success in Colorado.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.