FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Opening Day  (Read 3166 times)

ratso

Opening Day
« on: Apr 08, 2012, 12:54 PM »
I will refrain from mentioning the name of the guy I fished with, I will just embarass myself. Fished Clinton and struck out, as did all those we spoke with as far as trout go. Some guys caught a few smallies, with one boat telling us they caught 20+ smallies. I don't know what we were doing wrong but short of hand grenades, we tried it all. 47-49 on top 45 down at 15-17, warmer water should make things better for trout. The wind was horrific and most likely did not help at all. A steady 20-25 almost all day with some higher gusts, it came from different directions  and that might have helped a tad as well. Boat control was a nightmare without a bow bout or a sufficiently powerful stern mount. Better days are ahead.

fishthefalls123

Re: Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2012, 06:59 PM »
i agree ratso! we went out on the ramp and it was calm until about 9:30. Action was slow but managed to bag my limit and 2 more to boot. one was a nice breeder along with my cousin who caught a nice one too. all fish were caught on spinners. gave fly fishing a go later on in the day before dark and lost 3 nice trout with one being lost right by my feet. nice big rainbow about 18inches give or take.

fishgalore

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I will refrain from mentioning the name of the guy I fished with, I will just embarass myself. Fished Clinton and struck out, as did all those we spoke with as far as trout go. Some guys caught a few smallies, with one boat telling us they caught 20+ smallies. I don't know what we were doing wrong but short of hand grenades, we tried it all. 47-49 on top 45 down at 15-17, warmer water should make things better for trout. The wind was horrific and most likely did not help at all. A steady 20-25 almost all day with some higher gusts, it came from different directions  and that might have helped a tad as well. Boat control was a nightmare without a bow bout or a sufficiently powerful stern mount. Better days are ahead.

LMAO.........I've been skunked before and it won't be the last time either! I'd rather get skunked on a less crowded venue with awesome scenery than catch lots of fish while getting tangled and being elbow to elbow with a bunch of inconsiderates! Hey, at least we got our permits and are out $60 more bucks.

loustru

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2012, 12:42 PM »
It can only get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wind allways sucks this early in the season.

Robbieq16

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Yea my friend and I went out and got skunked on Sunday we where trolling only was able to fish for 2hrs cause of Easter I had 49degrees top to bottom on the probe. Very windy tho.

fishthefalls123

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2012, 07:49 PM »
after hitting the ramp i went on hopatcong for some trolling with a good buddy wind was blowing hard but we went to back cover to get out of the wind and got a mess of pickerel and some perch

bigfish

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Got out on easter on UGL strong wind trolled in a back cove for about 1 hour lots of pickerel.The week end should be better .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.