FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1/4 inch mesh screen for minnow traps ????  (Read 7582 times)

fish/hunt4ever

Re: 1/4 inch mesh screen for minnow traps ????
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:55 PM »
What kind of bait do you use to attract them into the trap? I like the idea of having something in the middle to hold the bait so they cannot just swim up to the trap and get the bait without going into the trap.  I use dog food but have to check the traps every couple of days because it disintegrates pretty fast, especially when it is in the current of the creek I am trapping. 

minnowguy

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:13 PM »
What kind of bait do you use to attract them into the trap? I like the idea of having something in the middle to hold the bait so they cannot just swim up to the trap and get the bait without going into the trap.  I use dog food but have to check the traps every couple of days because it disintegrates pretty fast, especially when it is in the current of the creek I am trapping. 
Try wrapping your bait in some cheese cloth then tie it with a rubber band it will keep a little longer that way.

bbkyle35

« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:39 PM »
When I used to trap I punched some holes in a cottage cheese container, filled it with dog food, and just threw it in my trap.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Another tip: Go to your local farm/Ag/pet supply store and ask if they have any broken bags of dog/cat food. Sometimes they'll give you a 5 gallon bucket of dog food for a couple bucks or for free. I haven't payed for minnow bait yet.  ;)

TEAM LIGHTNING

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:04 PM »
 I have used dry dog food....mashed saltine crackers and a full slice of bread and also a slice of bread broken into smaller pieces & then rolled into little balls...all have worked @ one time or another.  Was visiting with Appleye this afternoon & am thinking about using like a GALLON apple juice bottle to make a bigger funnel instead of the pop bottle. Will look around & see what I can find.

FairIce

« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Is there any rules on how many traps you can have and how often you have to check them? 

TEAM LIGHTNING

« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Number of traps yes....there is a limit if you Do noit have a bait dealers license.

Regulations can be found here

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Fishing/pdfs/WYFISHINGREGS_1213_BROCHURE0000715.pdf
A seining license holder shall not use more than five (5) traps at a
time.
A holder of both a seining license and live baitfish dealer’s license
shall have no restriction on the number of traps that can be used.

branded

« Reply #22 on: Apr 28, 2012, 06:30 AM »
I have used styrofoam for bait. It floats and does not breakdown as does dog food. Something about it the fish like. Give it a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.