FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 27705 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rod building
« Reply #105 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:29 PM »
I’ve done them that way. The more I built the less I did.I found the minimal approach suited me better.. especially with fly rods. Lighter over all.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #106 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:42 PM »
I’ve done them that way. The more I built the less I did.I found the minimal approach suited me better.. especially with fly rods. Lighter over all.

Bob

Not sure I buy that they would be lighter.  Same amount of wraps.
Besides, it’s only thread.

However, I do agree with your minimalist approach.  Forget those crazy wraps and weaves.  I have absolutely no patience or desire for that stuff.  I’m doing it for another hobby and also so I can repair my own rods.
A fish doesn’t give a crap what the rod looks like or the modulus of graphite the blank was or how exotic the alloy is in the eyes.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #107 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:06 AM »
Doesn’t really matter on spinning and casting rods but it makes a difference in the way a fly rod casts. The better blanks I’ve used for fly rods all have titanium light wire guides and the bare minimum of wraps.Titanium doesn’t bend or wear out. At least I’ve never worn any out. Excessive thread wraps can turn a fast blank into a broom handle.

A beginner wouldn’t know the difference. Just that it’s harder to cast. After 50 years of fly fishing you start to feel the difference. I prefer  a slower blank. IM-6 is my choice although I have a couple stiffer 5 and 7 wt rods. My TFO Axiom is an 8 1/2’ 5 wt and is very fast tipped. If I’m not on my game, it can be a nightmare to control. My 10’ IM-6 6 wt is a dream to cast and is actually lighter.

If you want to experiment, weigh your blank before you wrap and see how much you’ve added when you’re done. A couple ounces makes a big difference on a fly rod.

I’ve got to make a little chuck for my drier motor. To turn the sections as I get closer to the final coats. The cork I’m using let’s the blank work it’s way loose after a few minutes of turning. Back when I was building rods I had an 8’ drying box that was temperature controlled. First time I’ve missed that stuff in 10 years. Oh well, I’ll make due with what I’ve got.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #108 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:38 AM »
Looks great Mac. Love the colors.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #109 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:44 AM »
Progress pics
Winding checks

Eye replacements and ferrules

Ferrules, tip tops and first eyes on the midge rod ( bottom) the new stripping guide is slightly larger than the old.

Midge rod tip section in process. 5 more eyes and the tip top to wrap.

Coming along nicely.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #110 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:58 AM »

The cork I’m using let’s the blank work it’s way loose after a few minutes of turning.

Bob

wrap it with a couple thick rubber bands and then clamp it on the rubber bands.
I have the same issue unless I do this.

Mac Attack

« Reply #111 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:59 AM »
nice pics - thanks Bob.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #112 on: Feb 08, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Just made a simple collet.

Works like a charm.

Bob

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #113 on: Feb 08, 2021, 03:57 PM »
I have no clue what you guys are talking about but sure looks nice 👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #114 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:22 PM »
I have no clue what you guys are talking about but sure looks nice 👍
just a way to hold on to the rod blank and turn it slowly with a motor while the finish dries......without sagging into a big drip or some sort of football looking thing.

I just took a hunk or wood dowel, drilled a hole in it and then cut some slots in it with the band saw. Put the rod ferrule in the end and tighten a hose clamp and round and round it goes. No magic....a little ingenuity maybe.

Bob

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #115 on: Feb 08, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Progress pics
Winding checks

Eye replacements and ferrules

Ferrules, tip tops and first eyes on the midge rod ( bottom) the new stripping guide is slightly larger than the old.

Midge rod tip section in process. 5 more eyes and the tip top to wrap.

Coming along nicely.

Rg

Very nice work

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #116 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Thanks. I keep thinking about how skilled the original builder was. What craftsman. These rods could be useable for more than 100 years. Made with techniques more than 100 years old.

But, I wax nostalgic.

Really I’d just like to hear of them catching fish again. I’m confident that will definitely happen. I know Larry and Josh. They’re really good fishermen. Maybe I’ll deliver them and bring my #59 with me. We can have a “Bamboo Outing”.

Rg

KingPerch

« Reply #117 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Looking great, Bob!! I’ve been reading up on those old rods. Orvis has been around a long time. Amazing how many models they made. Josh and I look forward to that bamboo outing. If I can find another top section to the 8’ “Battenkill” bottom section We have ... I’ll have another rod for you to clean up. 😎
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #118 on: Feb 09, 2021, 05:21 AM »
There’s a pretty good list of Orvis bamboo rods by serial number online. Although yours don’t actually appear on the list, the serial numbers fall into specific time frames.

Orvis could probably come up with a tip section for the Battenkill. Lord knows what it would cost.

Looked at the Shooting Star this morning and it’s done except for the butt cap. The aluminum cap that was on it is pretty much destroyed with corrosion. I’d like to replace it with a cap I can turn on the lathe. I have some exotics I could use that would look pretty nice. Maybe some Mopane or Brazilian Ebony.

3 more eyes and the tip top left on the Midge Rod. When all the eyes are set on both rods I’ll give them a final coat of varnish.

I’ve really enjoyed working on these rods. I get pretty lost in the project. Kind of like fly fishing itself.

A couple of weeks ago my Son informed me that he wants to learn to fly fish and spend some time on the stream with me. We’ve fished some together but, he’s never really gotten the bug till now. Helping him learn to fish and tie flies will be priceless. It’ll be good to know where all my stuff will be going when I slip these earthly ties.

Bob

KingPerch

« Reply #119 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:23 AM »
There’s a pretty good list of Orvis bamboo rods by serial number online. Although yours don’t actually appear on the list, the serial numbers fall into specific time frames.

Orvis could probably come up with a tip section for the Battenkill. Lord knows what it would cost.

Looked at the Shooting Star this morning and it’s done except for the butt cap. The aluminum cap that was on it is pretty much destroyed with corrosion. I’d like to replace it with a cap I can turn on the lathe. I have some exotics I could use that would look pretty nice. Maybe some Mopane or Brazilian Ebony.

3 more eyes and the tip top left on the Midge Rod. When all the eyes are set on both rods I’ll give them a final coat of varnish.

I’ve really enjoyed working on these rods. I get pretty lost in the project. Kind of like fly fishing itself.

A couple of weeks ago my Son informed me that he wants to learn to fly fish and spend some time on the stream with me. We’ve fished some together but, he’s never really gotten the bug till now. Helping him learn to fish and tie flies will be priceless. It’ll be good to know where all my stuff will be going when I slip these earthly ties.

Bob
Im going to get in touch with Orvis to see how much that rod section is going to hit the wallet.😁 You can do whatever You would like to dress up that rod! Personal touches go along way!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.