FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your favorite rod/reel combos  (Read 6089 times)

jdhers

Re: Your favorite rod/reel combos
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2012, 01:14 PM »
The new Jason Mitchell telescoping 9'6" trolling rods are awesome. They collapse about 18" near the butt which allows them to fit nicely into your boat's under floor rod storage

Lundin-loading

« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2012, 01:29 PM »
I primarily use a 7' shimano clarus paired with a 7430 pflueger arbor. I use an 8'6 shimano convergence steelhead rod with an Abu ambassador 5000 or Penn 209 with leadcore for trolling. Both are Med heavy action with extra fast tips. My backup spin rod is an Odyssey IM7 graphite with fuji guides, its comparable to the shimano at half the price, paired with a pflueger trion. Before I had the Odyssey I used my girlfriend's pink pflueger combo, and its a dandy at $50! Both combos are very comfortable and super light in the hand. I prefer a stiff backboned fast-tip rod, you couldn't pay me to use my old ugly stick after discovering graphite!
Beauty

metmen

« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2012, 01:36 PM »
just paired a pflueger president with 7ft ugly stick just what the walleye ordered. This setup will do everything if needed from pitching jigs to casting cranks or even trolling spinners or cranks.         

JB

doublehaul

« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Anything that says St. Croix on the side of the rod blank. Phluger reels.
Promoting catfishing in the great plains states

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2012, 01:29 PM »
For those who mentioned using fireline, or other braids... do you tie directly or use a fluoro leader?

jopes

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I tie a snap swivel to my fire line then put on my jig, lure, spoon or harness right on.

Special

• Who wants to go fishing!!!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2012, 09:50 PM »
That's one thing I've never figured out why buy braid or floss and tie mono leader. For me I catch just as many fish straight line as my friend's do with a leader. I look at it as a weak link in the line but I do put a couple yards on my spool so there is no slip on  :)my spool. Which I thank mff members for the fix.
No one left behind  

Lundin-loading

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2012, 10:52 PM »
I tie the leader for stealth, but with super line I don't mind the weak link, I need to be able to break a jig off now and then. For my spin rigs I only use 6-8lb test fireline or power pro with 8-10lb test flouro leaders attached with a modified albright (thanks skipper) I Love the spool on my Arbor, its got rubber deals on it to lock your braid on instead of backing with mono.
Beauty

olefish

« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 PM »
when jigging I never use a leader on my 2-10 power prow.  I have fished with some pretty good jiggers and have held my own and on some days did great.  I love the feel and also use a small snap to attach the jig.

bbkyle35

« Reply #24 on: Aug 26, 2012, 07:49 AM »
 Fireline crystal. Easy to see above water, vanishes below. best of both worlds without needing a leader
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:35 AM »
I use all kind of different lines, experiment and find the best for it's application. But, don't sell yourself short and only use 1 type or brand for everything. There are just too many great fishing lines out now not to fiddle with. ;D

The main purpose of having a mono or flouro leader is not stealth, it's abrasion resistance, and a bit of stretch. I prefer mono. I wish I could find froghair in a 10lb,( it's fly leader material).
Also with a leader I get fewer "foul casts" where the lure flips and tangles on 1 of it's hooks. Spoons, cranks, etc.. Due to the nature of mono being stiffer than most " super lines".

24-36" of 8-12lb with a double uni knot, surgeon knot or albright. All seem to work great. ;)
I like to fish for all fish!

olefish

« Reply #26 on: Aug 26, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Yep use what works best for you.  All the high teck high dollar stuff and my wife catches 6 walleye with 2  of them 26 and 28 inches on her $9.99 rod/reel combo again.  I venture to say that very few of us have caught as many over 25 inch fish on any rod/reel at any price as has on her cheap rig.  And she does it with some of the  strangest combos.  She used these little pink rubber things called spider legs in front of her slow death hook for both the big fish.  They are made to put on little jigs for perch and crappies I think.

wally13

« Reply #27 on: Aug 27, 2012, 02:31 AM »
 GO WITH THE ST CROIX  RODS AND SHIMANO STRADIC REEL YOU WILL LOVE THE COMBO

FIRETRAP

« Reply #28 on: Aug 27, 2012, 02:51 AM »
Scheels Limited guide series and Shimano Symetre 10lb fireline crystal

jopes

« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Picked up a St Croix eyecon rod today. Medium light with fast tip. Going to pair it with a pfleuger president 6930 and 8the lb fireline crystal.

I will see how it fishes tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.