FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyfishing for Crappie  (Read 4210 times)

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
Flyfishing for Crappie
« on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Well thought id start a new thread on here....
ANyhow i usually do most my Crappie fishing with a FLyrod and use Little tied flys that arnt anything special...Just use all black and tie em up and the suddle fall approah seems to work.THey usually will hit it just like 6 inches under the water or so...Or a slow strip will help trigger strikes:> ANyhow anyone else fly fish them?
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Mackdaddy21

Re: Flyfishing for Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:44 PM »
I have heard of crappies eating dries too. Small bluegill poppers also work for crappies.
Probably a mid sized nymph fished 1  - 4 feet below the surface would be best, much like you fish. Small streamers would be good too I would bet, stripped around shallow brushpiles.
Crappies don't fight much so a fly rod does make it more fun.

Tyler

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Well on a flyrod they certainly do fight:> I remeber Last year i caught a nice little slab and i could have swore it was a bass lol........GOt to love the fly rods:>
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Hookset

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:11 PM »
I used mine in the Hudsion last year in some small pools near a spillway.  I was tossing small poppers in the pools with a short strip to make it pop slightly.  The pannies wouldn't touch it, but the smallies absolutley crushed it. Great time as I watched my tippet get smaller and smaller from the break-offs.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

crappieman12887

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:23 AM »
 i have caught alot of crappies on flys, i think its one of my favorite ways to catch them ,when they wont hit anything throw a fly on works great ,bill

gudkatch

• when I yell fish on...GRAB THE NET!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2005, 06:41 AM »
Last year I fished from my float tube in some small lakes and did a good job with small red/yellow clouser minnows.  I ended up finding crappies in a lake that I didn't know had any in it. :o
The man who coined the phrase "money can't buy happiness" never bought himself a good flyrod.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2005, 01:49 AM »
i have caught crappies on fly rods. it allways exciting to catch them on drys. any style of adams is my fav.. samll streamers work well to.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

crappiemaster

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2005, 09:38 AM »
i just started flyfishing and i wanted to try flyfishing for slabs on my lake.  what kind of flys do you use?
OH NO!! I'm hoooked on fishing crappies!!:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.