FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ballston Lake  (Read 994 times)

snowlt14

Ballston Lake
« on: Aug 03, 2013, 02:15 AM »
Fished Ballston Lake for the first time today and really struggled. I can usually figure out a lake pretty quick and at least a couple quality fish in the boat. We fished from 2-7 and caught 4 bass with only one being over 12 inches. We threw, spinnerbaits, top water, crankbaits, senkos, frogs, buzzbaits, texas rigged worms and nothing would really produce. We fished mostly along the shore line on the weed edge and also pounded the boat docks. Anybody have any pointers? I'm far from giving up after just one outing. Thanks

SSmokinn SS

Re: Ballston Lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2013, 03:38 AM »
you need to fish deep. The lake has over 3 miles of deep ledges between 20-60ft of water. However anything over 45ft is "dead water" in that lake. There is also a ton of huge boulders that hold fish out in the big part of the lake. I will not get into it and tell you the good spots, but I will tell you I am a local and put 5lb+ largemouths and smallies in the boat every outing. The lake is actually pretty easy fishing imo. The lake is a "Meromictic" lake. One of 19 in North America. It fishes different for sure. If you can stay in the strike zone from 15-25ft in there, you will find them. Big deep diving crankbaits and jig's put them in the boat. They are also under the docks. If you are not getting any from the docks you need to downsize your jig for a slower fall rate. They do nothing in that lake but suspend. Running parallel to the deep weedbeds along the banks will get you some as well, as long as you are running slow and deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meromictic_lake

some interesting lake info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballston,_New_York

good luck. She's a good one.

UglyStik

Re: Ballston Lake
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2013, 06:10 AM »
Good reads in the wiki's, maybe he can hook 'Big Tim' that is mentioned. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.