FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lets see your boat projects ..  (Read 15371 times)

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
Lets see your boat projects ..
« on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Last year I spent a several weeks resurrecting my old 10' jon boat. It's a 1965 Montgomery Ward Sea King and I got it in bad shape. I wanted to keep it light, functional and be able to car top it.
I stripped it down and welded, repainted, installed all new SS hardware, new transom wood,, side rod holders and new under seat flotation foam.
I also started on custom oar lock mounts and a custom wheel kit. (unfortunately it's so old nothing would match up to it)

Here's some pictures :

When I first brought it home.

Almost done.

Using it. (Not too bad for almost 50 years old !! )

Those who are brave are free ..       

gundogwanted

Re: Lets see your boat projects ..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Don't have any modifications (projects) for the boat itself, but I am looking at getting a new four stroke 20hp for it. Need to sell my other two motors first. The Merc I looked at is 3695.00. Also, putting a 40lb bow mount on when the weather breaks.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Well, this was last year, but...
This is what she looked like

This is her stripped down to the basics

This is her after the rebuild;

Fun stuff!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Lundin-loading

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I posted my entire build on the Montana board as it progressed, I'll throw some pics on here!!
She's a 14' 1979 smoked craft, its fairly deep and very wide for a 14'. Here she is before

Here's some progress

Had my buddy weld all of the aluminum frame

Coated all the wood in fiberglass.resin and gave it all a layer of outdoor solid color stain and a little overspray Camo, lots left to do, but here's how she sits now

reversered my trolling motor handle and had a buddy slap together a bracket and Retro fitted a my transom minnkota as a "bow mount"

Was fun and I've got lots to do still, but I've put her through the paces a couple times so far!
Beauty

gundogwanted

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Lundin-loading...nice job. Is that battery box in the front or rear of the boat. I am looking to do something in the front end of my promag 140 for my trolling motor. :-\ Toooo much weight in the rear with two batteries, fuel tank and me.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:51 PM »

Bob (rgfixit) you did a great job. There's plenty of room to fish and the center area looks pretty much snag proof for fly fishing.
I like the under deck lighting and I really like the red, white and blue lighting. It looks like you really thought things out.  :thumbup_smilie:

Lundin-loading great job on the boat. Really like the decking camo paint.  :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:38 AM »
The important thing is that I can still stretch out on the floor for a nice nap ;D

I've had the boat for 32 years this year It's a little different, but it fishes really well.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BassAssassin307

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Wow those boats look amazing. I will be starting my own project here in a few months I will probably be asking all kinda of questions from the pros on here. Again well done

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Keep it simple. Decide what you ;
1. Need
2. Want
3. Would like to have

I swear, the most important hing to me was the ability to sprawl out on the floor and take a nap. I absolutely refused to lose any floor space. The rest kind of worked itself out.

I installed new steering, new controls and cables and new lighting. The rest was just whimsey.

Oh, if it's wood it better be pressure treated.

RG

Lundin-loading

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Oh, if it's wood it better be pressure treated.

If your working on an aluminum boat and you want to go with pressure treated be sure you use yellow wood and not green pressure treated, as the green stuff will corrode and eventually deteriorate aluminum.
Beauty

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:59 AM »

I used exterior grade plywood .. I had some laying around. After cutting to size I filled in any gaps on the edges and sanded.
I then coated them with 3 light coats of spar. I only had the 2 transom pieces (inner and outer) but so far it's holding up well.

doublehaul

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I just finished up an elevated rear casting deck on my 1979 Lowe 16' Jon boat.  I do a lot of catfishing on anchor. Landing fish out the back of the boat was challenging. Hope it doesn't draft too much lower. Before adding the deck my 35 HP outboard jet would run at 22.0 MPH and plane across 3 inches of water.

Promoting catfishing in the great plains states

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:13 PM »

Well it's been awhile since any updating.

I got a really good deal on a Suzuki 2.5 HP 4 stroke and I couldn't pass it up. I'm still going to get the Eska running but I can leave that on hold for now.
I finished the custom aluminum oar lock mounts and mounted them on the boat. I think they will work out fine.
I'm finishing the motor stand this weekend. Next week I'm starting on my custom wheel assembly for the jon boat. I'll post pictures when I can.

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2015, 10:48 AM »

Here are the oar lock mounts that I finished near the end of last season. I haven't tested them yet but I think they should work fine.
I made them out of aluminum rectangle stock cut at an angle and I welded aluminum flat stock over the top section for more strength.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Looks good bud. Very sturdy.

I just vacuumed out my baby today. I'm getting very anxious to hear the wind in my face buzzing down the canal  ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.