FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water temp fos crappies to spawn in?????  (Read 5634 times)

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
Water temp fos crappies to spawn in?????
« on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Does anyone know the temp that crappies will spawn at and when they will move out. Or will they go out when they are done?
Internet heros give it a rest!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Water temp fos crappies to spawn in?????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2005, 01:40 PM »
crappies spawn at 68 degrees, they will make movements in and out of shallow water as soon as the water hits 50 degrees, at about 60 there is a general movement of fish towards spawning grounds, and by 65 there should be good numbers of fish on beds...seems to me about 72 - 74 degrees and they pull off the spawning grounds, and then relate to the nearest weeds or deep cover for the remainder of the summer.

Buckski

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Thanks Big red that should help to narrow good spots. Always have some good info THANK YOU.

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Come on down, Buck. I may know a spot or two...
Article from Crappie.com

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:10 AM »
Article from Crappie.com
great article, thanks D-M.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

gairz

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Article from Crappie.com

that's a crappie article.    ;D   I should stick to fishin cuz I'll never make it as a comic..   nevermind me, I'm just trying to get 5 postesses.   8)
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline.  It helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the VERY least you need a beer."  ~  Frank Zappa

Buckski

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:33 AM »
thanks there devil like the info!!!!
stay in touch!

August West

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Around here in upstate NY the BEST crappie fishing is mid May through Memorial Day weekend.  If you live in the northeast and go by that you'll catch the best crappie fishing of the season.  That's when the actual spawn seems to go down because the water temps are prime by then and the crappies are very aggressive.

Those are true "Words of Wisdom" Slipbob.
I have been fishing/camping the same spot up in the 1000 Islands area for about 15 years, and that is exactly how I gauge my trip. Some years it happens 1 week before Memorial Weekend.....some years it is later.

perchwisher

• nice one!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:57 PM »
wow this is a surprising topic.I always hit Chautauqua as soon as the ice is out in the canals and marinas and always do fairly well.Usually limit out everytime.The water cant be anywhere near the temp you guys are talking about.And like i said first ice out does us good.To give you an example of Chautauqua,we headed down to bemus bay and from bemus all the way to mayville was still ice covered when we went out(punk ice)launched at bemus and headed south to lakewood and just under the bridge that separates the lake and was back in less than 3 hours with our limits 3 guys in the boat.

Also to support that theory they are getting the calico's up here in buffalo at the sand piles already.I was there last friday and they were getting a few but one guy that fishes it alot said they did very well 3 days prior just after the ice out.And his last ice fishing time out at the same spot him and his buddies managed 57 of them all nice fish i was told.So if he gave me a number of fish when he was ice fishing and just stated very good for that tuesday after ice out you could only imagine they probably got there limits.The only question i have is do the white and black crappies spawn at the same water temp maybe this would explain different temps.Every thing that we seem to catch this early are the white calico's.On lime lake the black calico's get more active in late may.Just wanted to lend my experiences.

Perchwisher
JUST ONE LAST CAST!

jdjyoung

• Get em while you can
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2006, 10:58 AM »
 Great article, but I've got to agree with Perchwisher when it comes to Chaut. Lake. I've caught a lot of fish in the canals in early spring and there's no way the temps are as warm as those stated in that article.

Suppose it goes with the territory?
 Do fish act differently in different bodies of water?

JD
I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day of work anytime!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Crappies move shallow around mid march in some places (other places they stay deep).  They may move shallow, but they aren't spawning until the water warms significantly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.