FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch Eyes?  (Read 16644 times)

archbishop

Perch Eyes?
« on: May 02, 2005, 06:15 PM »
i have fished for perch with perch eyes on the ice with success does this tactic hold true during open water as well?

wormwigglr

Re: Perch Eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 06:41 PM »
i have caught many perch doing this on open water.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I works very well, although I do prefer nightcrawlers.

stones21

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I have used eyes when i start to run out of minnows....

rockhound57

• can't wait to fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2007, 03:37 PM »
I've used them year round when short on bait. Run the hook in as far to one side as possible, then come out as low as possible on the opposite side, then pull it out. Sometimes it comes easy, sometimes it rips. it doesn't matter too much, each new fish comes with two new ones [how callous!!!] they lose their appeal fairly quickly, but you can catch two to four fish on each if you're lucky ;) :tipup: :sick:
Too Soon Old - Too Late Smart!

gumbo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I've tried it with the hook only to have it ruin the eye, and turn it into soup. I found that either a small pocket knife or thin bladed knife works real well. Just work it around the eye and the severe the tendon, or the optical nerve (maybe) and hook it.

Walltrout

• Drowning in beer would be like heaven, eh?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:11 PM »
There is a lot of info on the shanty about removing eyes.  Here is the method I like best that I posted there.

Take a Bic ballpoint pen and a paperclip.  Bend the inner wire loop out so the paper clip is flat and looks like an enlongated "S" shape.  Take the ink cartrige and the little plastic piece that holds it out of the pen. Jam the small loop of the paper clip in the end of the pen and bend the large wire loop at a slight angle so it is like a spoon. 

This eye scoop is practically free to make (especially if you make them at work) and it only takes a few seconds. They are harder to lose in your pockets of tackle box than a paper clip alone and it will scoop the eyes out unbroken every time - quick and easy. 

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Big Burk

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2007, 11:55 PM »
they work great in the summer, i just use my thumb to pop em out, i rarely bust  em anymore.

perch-man

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Have done this for perch and caught walleye in the mix as well.

heine

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:15 PM »
eyes work good or u could try a small slice of belly meat since that is not edible and it stays on your hook great :o

TheDL

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:59 PM »
what? belly meat's not eatible?  I never heard that, I eat it ???
tight lines....

infectedtoe1952

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2011, 03:41 AM »
yes and have a heart only take the eyes of perch that are in your bucket and use dead ones!!!!! yeah its only a perch but -------- im done now and never ever use a walleye eye and think that that wally will live after ------- they dont i tried it once.

TheDL

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:15 AM »
 ??? what's this about not eating belly meat?  I  always do, with all my fish - seems like a waste to not eat it, why is it not good?  tastes fine
tight lines....

heine

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:47 PM »
??? what's this about not eating belly meat?  I  always do, with all my fish - seems like a waste to not eat it, why is it not good?  tastes fine
im talking bout on a 4 or 5 inch perch it is too hard to clean off witha knife just keepone for bait purposes

TheDL

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:13 PM »
ahhh - gotcha.  someone tried to tell me once that the belly meat near the guts and poop was "tainted" and shouldn't be eaten - doesn't seem correct ???
tight lines....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.