FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: shiners  (Read 4964 times)

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
shiners
« on: May 08, 2005, 08:17 PM »
whats the best way to fish shiners for crappie off the shore
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Hood

Re: shiners
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:51 PM »
shrub.... I would recommend fatheads instead, possibly under a bobber on an ice jig, be sure to keep it off the bottom, crappies are lazy.... they will rise up for a bait but rarely will they drop down for one. I like to hook the fatheads just behind the head.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

shrub

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:19 PM »
thanks i trappd a bunch of shiners so i will probably use them and i was fishing worms on the bottom today and caught a crappie so im goin to try that place with minnows next weekend
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Hood

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 06:43 AM »
sounds good shrub, I am sure the shiners will work just fine, it will prolly allow you to target larger crappies just by the bait your usin, should have some nice slabs next week  :)

shrub

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:43 PM »
thanks again i just noticed i have a lot of creek chubs in my bait box will they work to?

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:11 PM »
If the bait is native to the waters the crappie are in, I'm sure they would work.  Crappies are predators and if you were to drop food in front of their faces, like any other opportunistic predator, they should go for it.

Derek

shrub

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:52 PM »
goin out tomorrwo night hopefully ill have a limit to take pics of ;)

Hood

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:28 PM »
chubs could be good, I am no expert on crappies but I would guess they will eat any baitifsh that is relatively small. I would definately try either bait on and ice jig with a bobber.

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 06:22 AM »
small fatheads under a bobber or a plain #6 gold or bronze aberdeen hook tied 2ft or so above a small sinker tightlined on bottom will do the trick. i usually fancast using a tubejig under a glowbob bobber. work the whole area. sooner or later if the craps are there , you will hook one. the hardest part is finding them,then the rest is easier. hope this helped shrub, tight lines big dave out.

JohnPorter

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 09:08 PM »
I like hoods way of fishing minnows. Take a good look at a Crappie and look how the eyes are positioned. They always like to feed looking up and like stated --you will catch more keeping your bait off the bottom.
                                          John

pondpro

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:33 PM »
i like to hook the minnow in the tail.
Tommy G.

fishuhalik

• The few, the proud, Team MN!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2006, 07:33 PM »
When ice fishing on upper red lake the ticket seemed to be 2" shiners.  I had a buddy that trapped a ton of them and he gave them to me to try.  Our biggest fish of the weekend always were caught on those shiners.
Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.