FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513352 times)

cnypanfisher

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4800 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:01 AM »
I never heard of German Hardneck garlic. Will have to try and find it.
I can get you some next June, my friend does 3 to 4000 garlic every year and he does about 500 Hardneck. He grows really good onions too, and he isn't even in A muck field. We get our seed garlic there and its all organic. Elephant garlic is good too, it is more mild but great stuff.  We just put our garlic in, going to get spots ready to put in A lot of berries on our lot next year.

piscesman

« Reply #4801 on: Oct 19, 2022, 05:16 AM »
Boy guys, that garlic sure looks good. Hopefully mine will come through fine. Will definitely get German & Elephant next year. Wife and I are going for a ride in the country this weekend and may stumble across some at a roadside stand................
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4802 on: Oct 19, 2022, 11:47 AM »
The farm market near me is great. Been there for years and years. I buy quart baskets of cloves from them for $7-10. I sort out the best for seed and preserve the rest. Always have a jar in the fridge with cloves soaking in vegetable oil. Garlic flavored oil and softened cloves for cooking.

Win win!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

piscesman

« Reply #4803 on: Oct 19, 2022, 07:07 PM »
There's no farm stand per say here. Just bigger stands that sell their stuff and big mark ups. Garlic in oil to preserve the moisture sounds great. Will give it a try........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

Bartman44

« Reply #4804 on: Oct 19, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Sad day. Closed up the garden as the forecast is frosty but picked a bunch of peppers, tomatoes and kale. Gardening is a fun hobby and I enjoy looking at this thread all season. Much to learn. I've gotten my grandkids into it and its fun watching them plant and pick the harvest.  I had some cherry tomatoes on my deck all summer and last week, my granddaughter was eating one after another. I told her to stop it and I turned my back, only to turn back with a smile (and more tomato seeds) on her face. 

Part of the final pick of the season.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4805 on: Oct 20, 2022, 05:00 AM »
Nice Bart..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #4806 on: Oct 20, 2022, 06:30 PM »
Good way to wrap up the season. Our cherry tomatoes finally turned red and having a hard time to eat them all. The 70lb 10 month puppy loves them........ Maybe do a medley this weekend???
      Kim
      author unknown

piscesman

« Reply #4807 on: Oct 22, 2022, 05:45 AM »
While working in Price Chopper I wondered through their produce section. They had a garlic bunch about 4" in diameter with 4-5 cloves in each. Holy Cow!!!!!! That's huge. I didn't buy any because of the $4 each price tag. It would take several years to recoup your $$$ at 4-5 each. Never seen one that big.
      Kim
      author unknown

tomturkey

« Reply #4808 on: Oct 22, 2022, 07:01 AM »
Raq
With your expertise, you would fit right in. Holland is looking for volunteers to plant the 1 million tulip bulbs that need to go in the ground this fall

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4809 on: Oct 22, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Raq
With your expertise, you would fit right in. Holland is looking for volunteers to plant the 1 million tulip bulbs that need to go in the ground this fall

Tom I don’t think that they could pay me enough to move back to that rat race around there.   😎

Dom..✌️
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4810 on: Oct 22, 2022, 08:42 AM »
While working in Price Chopper I wondered through their produce section. They had a garlic bunch about 4" in diameter with 4-5 cloves in each. Holy Cow!!!!!! That's huge. I didn't buy any because of the $4 each price tag. It would take several years to recoup your $$$ at 4-5 each. Never seen one that big.
      Kim
Probably the elephant garlic. More than likely it wouldn’t do well anyway. It would have to be an organic variety. Much of what’s in the super markets isn’t and comes from another country.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4811 on: Oct 22, 2022, 02:17 PM »
Dug up a couple hostas that were too much in the sun. Transplanted one to a shady spot and the other to one of my beds for the winter. I’ll figure out where that’s going in the spring.

Also removed some balloon flowers from a flower bed. Didn’t really like those plants. Kind of wild. I have the root stock and I’m thinking about where I might replant them….or if I’ll replant them.

Anyway, a beautiful fall day for garden work.

icefisher47

« Reply #4812 on: Oct 22, 2022, 03:45 PM »
Has anyone heard of honey butternut squash? We had gotten a couple at a farmers market but unfortunately never got back there. I can’t find them anywhere.
Take a kid fishing

icefisher47

« Reply #4813 on: Oct 22, 2022, 03:47 PM »
I can get you some next June, my friend does 3 to 4000 garlic every year and he does about 500 Hardneck. He grows really good onions too, and he isn't even in A muck field. We get our seed garlic there and its all organic. Elephant garlic is good too, it is more mild but great stuff.  We just put our garlic in, going to get spots ready to put in A lot of berries on our lot next year.
Thank you very much
Take a kid fishing

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4814 on: Oct 23, 2022, 07:01 AM »
Has anyone heard of honey butternut squash? We had gotten a couple at a farmers market but unfortunately never got back there. I can’t find them anywhere.

Never heard of a honey butternut. 
Just a regular butternut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.