FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tampa  (Read 6000 times)

waterwolf603

Tampa
« on: Jun 15, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Hey guys I have never been to Florida and I hail from New Hampshire. I may have to come down to Tampa in the next couple months and was wondering if there are any fishing opportunities from shore that I could do without a guide or boat. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as far as what gear i should bring and what would be around in the months of July and August. Thanks in advance. I have been looking at google earth but it is a little difficult to see where I can access the bay and other areas.

Erik
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
Re: Tampa
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I don't live in Tampa (I'm a couple hours south in Everglades National Park) but you should have nearly limitless fishing opportunities on the fishing pier next to the Skyway Bridge.   The old bridge parallels the new span and provides accss to the Bay from either end.   Of course, it's a very popular (and productive) spot to fish.   It's actually designated as a State Park these days:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Skyway

If you have a few days in town, you can also find good water access in St Pete on their fishing pier, nearby at Pass-A-Grille, or (the best) Fort De Soto Park...

Should be plenty of Snook, Tarpon and Redfish around all summer long until the first cool weather of the Fall pushes them back down to the Everglades, Keys and/or Central America.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Just a little North I have done well from shore for snook and reds at Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs...

windwalker

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Hey guys I have never been to Florida and I hail from New Hampshire. I may have to come down to Tampa in the next couple months and was wondering if there are any fishing opportunities from shore that I could do without a guide or boat. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as far as what gear i should bring and what would be around in the months of July and August. Thanks in advance. I have been looking at google earth but it is a little difficult to see where I can access the bay and other areas.

Erik

Erik, Your going to need a saltwater fishing lic. from shore. Maybe not for military with orders.Look for Macdill air force base. To the west (sundown ) yowl see picnic island, has a pier, boat ramp, and park on Tampa bay. To the east (sunup)you'll find a fishing pier and park, no charge. Then the skyway bridge as mentioned by Jimmy. A good spinning rod,6-12Lb, test is all you will need. I think you will like the bridge. Maybe 40 miles of drive on beach, plenty room and spots. Good luck and let us know how you do.
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

waterwolf603

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2015, 06:32 AM »
thank you guys so much for all of the helpful information. I have never been down to Florida and am super excited about the opportunity to try and fish in a different place. I will let you know when I am down there if anyone wants to meet up and fish. it seem's like a decent medium action bass rod and reel should do the trick in most parts from the sounds of it. I cant wait, thank you all so much.

Erik

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2015, 07:08 AM »
Florida fishing is awesome .....  even better than ice fishing  ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Florida fishing is awesome .....  even better than ice fishing  ;D

yup

:clapping:

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Wong coast, but same fish, just last Monday!

With my 70yr old Dad!

Best of luck!

ship of fools

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Fishing is so good you can catch em by hand  ;D

or rod and reel

Even hooked a large knucklehead

Forced the hook on through and released it to fish all day

waterwolf603

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2015, 08:04 AM »
awesome pics guys thanks for sharing! Stripernut that must have been a blast fishing with your dad down there. ship of fools that tarpon is awesome and that hookset must have hurt big time hahah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.