FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Florida Keys/Key West  (Read 14880 times)

william berger

Florida Keys/Key West
« on: Jun 30, 2014, 01:39 PM »
I'm taking a trip to the keys this summer. I'm from New York where we're throwing 6/0-7/0 hooks for striped bass and bluefish. So I really don't know what I'm doing. Could someone give me a few basic pointers? I don't plan on using a boat too often because I can't bring one down and it's too  expensive to rent one every day. Thanks!

stripernut

Re: Florida Keys/Key West
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2014, 02:05 PM »
It is a lot cheaper to rent a kayak for the day... What were you looking to catch? Sharks and Tarpon off the Bridges or bone fish and permit on some flats.... And those are only some of the fish you can chase... What "weight" tackle do you have now? When I am in FL, (not fly fishing) I like to fish a Inshore rod with 20lb PP and a 25-30ld floro leader... That gets me in the game for lots of fish, but not giant tarpon, big sharks or jumbo goliath grouper... Shrimp is the big bait down there and you will need more like 1/0 hooks... I like to use top water and plastic baits myself.

william berger

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Thanks for the info! Even that little bit goes a long way. I'm looking for fish to load the freezer with. I like fish I can eat. I have pretty much every level of equipment short of saltwater big game. And lots of 1/0 hooks! I use them for freshwater. Most of my saltwater rods are 20lb mono. I'm willing to buy what I have to to have the optimal rig. Can you just go out and net the shrimp?

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2014, 11:38 PM »
It is possible to net shrimp, but you would need a local to "clue you in", if you are looking to fish your own bait, bring some real small hooks and catch some pin fish, they make good bait... Also cut bait works well... There are lots of great eating fish that can be caught with the tackle you have...

william berger

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to find out about the pin fish. If I'm on the beach or wading, what species could I target?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.