FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cottage country bassin  (Read 3221 times)

jjz

• @jzuliniak
Cottage country bassin
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Had the opportunity to take the kids up to my Dads place on a small lake in the Muskokas. I didn't want to trailer my boat the 800km round trip so strapped the canoe to the roof and headed north. My Dad has a pontoon boat so between that and the canoe it wasn't exactly the ideal fishing platforms but they would get me around this small lake.
First day out was Friday and it was great, had the lake to myself and wanted to take advantage of it before the crush of jet skis and pleasure boaters the weekend would bring.

Although the paddle was nice the fishing was slow, only a few small bass but then I got back to the dock threw a few casts and got a nice 2.5lb largie.

The pontoon boat gave the three of us a lot of room to fish but tough to maneuver. We ducked into a back bay behind some islands and I picked up this 4.3lb piggie off some submerged boulders with a stick worm.  Great fight on Med action gear.

We did a few more trips in the pontoon and canoe and although there were no more big fish we got lots in the 1-2.5lb range.
This lake is not known for its fishing and I have fished it on and off over the last 30 yrs with mixed results so I was very happy with the quantity as well as the quality of the fish.  About 80% of the fish were Largemouth which was odd because the last time I was up there in July it was mostly smallies.  I don't mind though, most of the bass around my place are SM so it was nice for a change.

Goonloon

Re: Cottage country bassin
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2015, 05:45 AM »
Great stuff JJZ!

I have lost count the amount of times I take the boat out on the lake with all the prep that involves only to have the best fishing when I return and do a few casts from shore !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.