FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What's more stable  (Read 4087 times)

chris458wm

What's more stable
« on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:54 AM »
I was talking with two different friends and one said that a flat bottom boat will flip over easily while the other said that the flat bottom boat is the most stable, which is right?  We were talking about John boats versus semi-Vs and deep Vs.

Mac Attack

Re: What's more stable
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:34 AM »
Depends on the water.
In rough water, under way, the V hull will be more stable (and smoother ride).
In calmer water, like small ponds, rivers, and inland lakes, the flat bottom is more stable.
Each type hull has its purpose.

A pontoon is very stable..........in calm water.
But do you want to be out in it in 4-6' waves trying to get back home?

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:40 AM »
Deep v hulls cut through waves and handle wind and choppy water well where in a flat bottom you will not be able to go as fast through the waves and choppy water. v hulls are defiantly the way to go if you fishing water where it can get windy and choppy without warning. A whaler combines the two and is probably the most stable boat around.
done dirt cheap!

perchgypsy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:45 AM »
There is a lot of different variables
riding,anchored,windy,how wide boat is,who's in the boat with you... and a lot more to name
one of my best fishing buddies and myself fish alot together in my canoe...can stand up anytime I want to knowing he knows how to move in a canoe...take others with me before and I'll stick to the shore with themt ;D

Conundrum

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2016, 05:49 PM »
 My canoe is an Old Towne Guide.  I love it and I frequently fish standing up in it.  Never ever even came close to feeling like it was unstable.  Great fishing canoe.
I have a couple of fishing kayaks which I don't as well as the canoe.  They are lighter but they actually take longer to load on the car (small suv).  I still have my bass boat but I haven't used it in year.  The trailer needed some work and it just seemed to take more of my time. Driving to the boat launch, registering everything. upkeep, etc.  I can throw my canoe on the car racks, two simple straps, drop the boat in water within 15 minutes from my house. 

Maybe when I retire at the end of next year I'll consider going back to a bass boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.