FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early Boysen Walleye  (Read 1864 times)

drb15146

Early Boysen Walleye
« on: Apr 03, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Hi all:

New to the board from Ice Shanty.

I'm hoping for some general information on Boysen open water walleye, especially early season, as a baby on the way will make mid summer a little tougher!

I'm rigged to pull crankbaits, crawler harnesses and jig.

Thank you for your help!

fish/hunt4ever

Re: Early Boysen Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:26 AM »
I know that it can be tough in the spring but I know guys that still catch walleye this time of year. Most go and jig along the rocky points and slowly pull a jig down the edge trying to figure out where the eyes are laying. Once the water temp hits about 57 I know guys start to pull harnesses to cover the area and checking anywhere from 4 foot out to about 15 foot and some like pulling cranks as well I just have not had the luck with cranks but if you know of the long sand flats in the same water depth the cranks seem to be the ticket as you can cover water a little faster and see where the eyes are hanging out. Others go and hit ocean lake early in the spring rather than boysen since it warms up faster and sometimes you can catch the spawn at ocean and then when it is dieing down the spawn in boysen seems to be starting.

drb15146

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Fish/Hunt:

Great information.  Thanks so much.  I will focus on Ocean early then. 

I assume same techniques work. Thanks again!

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I have only tried Boysen one time early and that was last year. The ice hung on through April so I made a trip in May and never could figure them out. I put all my day 1 eggs in one basket thinking that I could find post spawn walleye in the warm water in the back of bays or on the first piece of structure between their spawning grounds and the main lake. That’s what I’d read and watched, and I didn’t find a thing. I finally started trolling to cover water and picked up one sauger on worms. The next day, my girlfriend picked up a decent walleye trolling cranks. The good news is that the fishing overall isn’t slow. There is definitely an uptick in trout in that lake, which kind of sucks, and they help to pass the time. I think we caught 30 something in 2 days all on cranks.

Back to the walleye, I think my game plan was correct, I just don’t think I found the proper spawning areas. I wasn’t there for the spawn so I was guessing where I thought those eyes “should” be and where they “should” be going. I was wrong.....or they didn’t like my presentation. Either is very possible.

I still think that’s where they were as it
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

appleye

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2020, 04:39 PM »
I haven't fish the spawn on Boysen ever but I have fished most of the other lakes on the east side of the state. Look for two things, current with gravels or chunk rock on main lake points. That's were the walleyes will try to spawn. They will be there when the water hits 40 degrees and as late as 50 degrees. In years of a late ice off the walleye will spawn under the ice like the perch and northerns (KH) you can see the egg string stuck to rocks and brush in the area. If you don't see or hear them splashing about the fish are close to being done and will only be seen at night at that time. In KH you hear the fish up spawning all night. In Glendo you see them on the graph in clusters and remind me of carp spawning. As soon as their done the males will hang for a day or two but the females head to deeper water and food.

After the spawn the fish head to the flat areas of the lake looking for minnows. Find the bait find the fish. Perch and fatheads head for weedy flats, then the shiners will show up and spawn suspended. In Glendo a bunch of shad go up the river because it's the warmest water. After the spawn hunt the warmest area you can find and the fish will be close. Most of the time when the fish show up to feed they are shallow and will hit about anything.

A side note about Boysen, I do know that fish go up the river which you can easily fish on foot. I would fish at night and look for riffle areas first then hit the main lake points around the boat ramps next. The spawning fish will be shallow so a slow rolled crank bait of a swimbait of a jig/plastic/minnow combo will work.

Good luck.

salted minnow

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2020, 01:17 PM »
  If you are a night owl Few years back I would fish late evening till midnight or so and catch them off rocky points with big minnows and a slip bobber fishing from shore. Mid may through mid june

drb15146

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Good advice all around.  Thank you.

As we all know, Boysen seems to fish "the way it should" only about half the time. 

Speaking of, anyone had consistent success in the upper lake for ice-out crappies? Not me!

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Posted some more information on the lake under reports and conditions side of things. If anyone is interested in the open/ice condition of the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.