FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kokanee fishing  (Read 1810 times)

Huntinfool18

Kokanee fishing
« on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:01 PM »
Not trying to knock on anybody, to each their own, but what does everyone see in Kokanee that makes them so popular? I understand that they are supposed to be good eating but are they really any better then a pink fleshed trout?

CMD1987

Re: Kokanee fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2020, 09:59 PM »
Salmon runs are always novel. Inevitably draws a crowd. Whether here in mass. Or in Wyoming.

appleye

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I really like eating Kokanee. I grew up eating trout, had a grandfather that kept EVERYTHING! We ate trout twice a day so we could keep fishing. I can’t eat a trout today. I can eat Kokanee. I’ve had salmon from all over and the Kokanee are the best. Kokanee are a pretty good fight on light line. I drag the boat to Alocova couple times a year just for Kokanee. I’m really looking forward to the Kokanee they stocked in Desmet to go there instead of Alcova soon. Great kids fish because I can run the boat with no snags and everyone catches fish.

That’s my two cents worth. Lol

Dorado

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Not trying to knock on anybody, to each their own, but what does everyone see in Kokanee that makes them so popular? I understand that they are supposed to be good eating but are they really any better then a pink fleshed trout?

They are definitely better eating, moist, flaky, tender and delicious!  Also, they can be quite challenging to catch consistently, so are a new challenge to figure them out.  I caught the bug 5-6 years ago and really like the new challenge.  They fight pretty hard too, jumping and taking line, some days you may lose 2:1 or more.....and you curse when they get off cause' you want to eat them!!!!

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2020, 07:16 AM »
As a kokanee junky, I’m not sure WHY it’s so fun. It just is. To put it into words better, I think part of the allure is the fact that they’re a salmon. You have to figure them out by using lures that triggers aggression, not food. They change shape and color through the summer months along with growing big really fast. As others mentioned, they fight like crazy. A very different fight than a big powerful lake trout but a great fight none the less. More like a constant freak out. I’ve been fortunate enough to catch a handful over 4 lbs and catch many between 3 and 4 lbs each summer. Those kokanee on the bigger end will take you for a ride!
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

glenwyo

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2020, 03:32 PM »
I fished on Flaming Gorge a few years ago near the end of August and early September (before season closed). We were vertical jigging for Kokanee and that was a lot of fun. They would school up in huge schools and if you found an active school, you could catch a bunch of nice, 3-4 lb fish. Try vertical jigging with spoons and lighter action rods if you've never done that.

Huntinfool18

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys. I’ve caught quite a few but never anything big and always been on gear a little heavier then needed for Kokanee. I guess I’ll get some lighter gear and give it a shot during the lull in lake trout fishing while at the gorge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.