FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cat time on resi's  (Read 1881 times)

bigr

Cat time on resi's
« on: Mar 02, 2023, 08:51 AM »
We all think spring crappie when we consider the resi's but right now with the conditions we have may be the best time of the year for big cats. I love to cast out three poles in the muddy water using cut bait and wait for that steady pull. The fillets this time of year seem to be tighter and taste great. A nice change from the usual crappie or gil from the last few months. I'll likely be out sitting beside my poles this weekend on the missy. Hope we don't get alot of rain but it won't effect the cat bite nearly as much as the crappie.

rivereddy

Re: Cat time on resi's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2023, 07:19 AM »
Back in the 80s we winter fished for blue cats off the Olio Rd bridge at Geist Reservoir,  This was before the
developers got ahold of just about every inch of shoreline and traffic on Olio was much lighter than it is now.
The action began in  mid January and lasted for at least a month or so.  At that time the only open water
on the otherwise frozen lake was the gut where the current under the bridge kept an area of open water
about the sze of a tennis court. I'd get home from school, get all of my papers graded, grab lanterns, poles
and chicken livers and head out to the lake at about 8:30 PM. Of course it was full dark when we got there.
We'd bait up and set lines up using flashlights. Usually be had a fish on before we got the coleman's lit...
We'd get 4 blues for every channel, and usually landed at least 6-12 fish in the two hours or so that we fished.
Nothing huge, 3# max, but nothing small either. 

A new park is in the works for Geist. It will be interesting to see how that effects access

fish on,

rivereddy

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2023, 10:39 AM »
Interesting Ed! You did get after them! Hope you are well!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2023, 08:29 PM »
Eddy, when I fished Giest as a Teenager with my Dad and Brother we could drive around most of it.  No houses anywhere near it.  LMAO

Jig_Head

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:06 PM »
We all think spring crappie when we consider the resi's but right now with the conditions we have may be the best time of the year for big cats. I love to cast out three poles in the muddy water using cut bait and wait for that steady pull. The fillets this time of year seem to be tighter and taste great. A nice change from the usual crappie or gil from the last few months. I'll likely be out sitting beside my poles this weekend on the missy. Hope we don't get alot of rain but it won't effect the cat bite nearly as much as the crappie.
That's a great idea and change of pace this time of year! I love kicking back and catfishing from shore. What do you get outta Missy? Blues or channels? Or both?

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2023, 04:46 AM »
Mostly channels a few blues. Nice avg size up to 8lbs. A few bigger. I'll be giving it a try in the morning up the river alittle ways.

Jig_Head

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2023, 11:20 AM »
Those are some good size channels. Let me know how you do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.