FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Outboard Motor Repair  (Read 2476 times)

Angola Fish

Outboard Motor Repair
« on: Mar 08, 2023, 06:03 AM »
I obtained a 9.9 Evinrude late last summer and have never run it.  I can't find anybody to service it to be ready for the upcoming season.  Is there someone or a shop in the Buffalo or WNY area that is willing to look at this for me?  PM me if you wish.  Thanks.
My fish are all the same size - bite size

Fishin-Mission

Re: Outboard Motor Repair
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:56 AM »
Perhaps try fixing it yourself.  How old is the motor? Any idea when it was run last? Most likely the carburetor needs cleaning. You may be able to find some video on youtube about getting it running. The more you know about how the motor functions the better off you are in the event it malfunctions when out on the water.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Laing's will do a decent job for you.
800-463-9001
5 Ward Rd, North Tonawanda

Here's a link to the website -

https://www.laingsoutboards.com/

Angola Fish

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Perhaps try fixing it yourself.  How old is the motor? Any idea when it was run last? Most likely the carburetor needs cleaning. You may be able to find some video on youtube about getting it running. The more you know about how the motor functions the better off you are in the event it malfunctions when out on the water.

Response to Fishin's questions:  Don't know, youtube videos for critical equipment that may be used on Mother Erie - no thanks. I could probably do it myself but I don't want to.

Thanks Mac.  I'm calling Laings.

Hopkinz

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Laing's will do a decent job for you.
800-463-9001
5 Ward Rd, North Tonawanda

Here's a link to the website -

https://www.laingsoutboards.com/

+1

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Response to Fishin's questions:  Don't know, youtube videos for critical equipment that may be used on Mother Erie - no thanks. I could probably do it myself but I don't want to.

Thanks Mac.  I'm calling Laings.

I'm the same way. I have a marina within 2 miles of me. I just take it over there on the boat as it's a 4 cycle and you're not supposed to lay them on their sides.  For me at least, sometime's it's best not to mess with it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

piscesman

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:47 PM »
I purchased a 1968 9.9 Evinrude a few years ago. Did research online and ordered parts for it. Runs pretty well but a friend is going to check it out this spring. Need a little bigger motor for my 12' fishing boat. Bought parts at I Shop Marine and E-B**. Good Luck. Marinas can get costly, and the repair may exceed the value of the motor.
      Kim

The model number on the side gives you the date made.
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

Angola Fish

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2023, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Piscesman.  Good information.  I dropped it off at Laings in N. Tonawanda the other day based on Mac's suggestion.  Nice little shop.  It appears he only works on outboards.  For me it was like going to a toy store and a trip down memory lane with all of the old motors and parts there. 

Pequod1

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2023, 05:00 AM »
A few yrs ago I bought a 9.9 1976 evenrude . I think it self imploded my second trip out.  With the help of on line and original shop instructions, I was able to replace the cylinder rings and pistons.  The engine sat on my work bench for months before I found enough courage to repair it.  The engine repair wasn’t half as bad as replacing a worm gear in the lower unit.  You have to have monkey hands and a lot of luck to get all those gears back in the right place.  The one thing I did that was a waste of time was to replace the carb with a 15 hp carb thinking that I would up my speed.  Lots of on line people said it would be easy and works great.  No it doesn’t!  You also have to swap out the exhaust tube and change the reeds to make that work. 
Real long story- short  version.  You made a very smart decision taking it to a shop!
If your interested, I still have that 15 hp carb lol ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2023, 10:14 AM »
I like doing most things myself, basically because I can do most things.
I am not a “fit and finish” guy.
I’m more of a rough carpenter vs a cabinet maker.
(Ask Bob - he will attest to this)

Anyway, sometimes it’s best to pick your battles.

Good luck on the motor.
Laings has done motor work for me once and my son Jeff once.
Both jobs came back fine and I didn’t feel that he gouged me on the cost.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Laings does good work but I don't think he starts until it's closer to boating season. Try Bow and Stern in N. Tonawanda or Blue Water marine on Grand Island.

FrankM

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2023, 08:50 AM »
There used to be a guy on Niagara Street named DeGlopper who was a real outboard mechanic. Unfortunately they don't make them like him anymore. I have a 1985 Johnson 70 horse that I have owned for 36 years. I have repaired every system on that motor as needed and am comfortable with any repair it would need. If I am ever fortunate enough to buy a newer rig I would have to study up on the newer motors before I took a stab at it. I'm sure the routine maintenance would be doable although I would have to consider warranty issues as well.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2023, 03:10 PM »
Speaking of "real mechanics" years ago I had a 2 cycle Johnson 15 horse. It would conk out on me at high speed so I took it to a marina. (Different one than I use now) The guy told me there was nothing wrong with it and was actually ticked at me! I took it to a mechanic that I use now for my 4 cycle, and he knew exactly what the problem was, fixed it, and I never had a problem with it after that. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Angola Fish

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2023, 05:19 PM »
Like FrankM, I also used to have "real mechanics" work on my engines.  However all have left Planet Earth.  I'm sure there are others out there.  Regarding Laings, he knows I don't need it tomorrow.  He did say I got it to him early and before the springtime rush. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2023, 06:50 PM »
Speaking of "real mechanics" years ago I had a 2 cycle Johnson 15 horse. It would conk out on me at high speed so I took it to a marina. (Different one than I use now) The guy told me there was nothing wrong with it and was actually ticked at me! I took it to a mechanic that I use now for my 4 cycle, and he knew exactly what the problem was, fixed it, and I never had a problem with it after that.

So what was wrong and what did he do to fix it???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.