FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Michigan ?  (Read 9350 times)

abishop

Re: Lake Michigan ?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 11, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Can anyone post a pic of A 16-inch perch next to a tape measure?

fishinator

« Reply #61 on: Apr 11, 2023, 06:14 PM »
Probably not. Taxi just posted a pic of a giant grown in ideal conditions, and it wasn't 16 inches.

taxid

« Reply #62 on: Apr 12, 2023, 03:43 PM »
Can anyone post a pic of A 16-inch perch next to a tape measure?

Here's one next to a tape measure. This one was 16 1/4 caught through the ice in one of my ponds back in 2005. She weighed 2.81 pounds or 2 lbs. 13 oz. My apologies if I've posted it here before. I have not caught one 16 or over since.

https://freshwater-aquaculture.extension.org/yellow-perch-aquaculture/

On a funny note does anyone remember when a guy posted a picture of a yellow perch on a checkered table cloth here? As it turned out he apparently had cut the tape measure and concealed it under the fish to make it look bigger. Problem was the length of the squares on the table cloth were easily seen next to the tape measure, and they just doesn't add up to the size he said it was. I forget what length he said it was, but going by the length of the squares it was only about 12 inches. IIRR he kind of disappeared in embarrassment.  :rotflol: It's hard to fool experienced anglers!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #63 on: Apr 12, 2023, 03:56 PM »
Don't believe everything you hear Al til you see it first hand...I call BS on 2, 16 inchers caught especially from the same boat...never has this ever happened in Indiana waters on Lake Michigan...But glad you got out, caught a few, and enjoyed your day.

Strange there's never pictures of those 16 or 18 inchers. But lots of pics of smaller ones. I wonder why that is?  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hozilla

« Reply #64 on: Apr 12, 2023, 11:21 PM »
I am only referring to Indiana waters of Lake Michigan and don't know much about perch in the rest of the state. But I can only recall myself ever hearing about 1 single 16 inch fish caught  in 2010 by a gentleman by the name of Steve Fiorio from Dyer, Indiana. It measured 16 5/8...  the fish was mentioned in the outdoor notebook, Chicago Sun Times, and was Indianas fish of the year...there were pics of the guy holding the fish but never seen one next to a tape or a bump board either...now I've caught lots and lots of legitimate 14s but I have only hit that 15inch mark once in my life on the big lake...I'm not saying a 16 doesn't exist, but.......

abishop

« Reply #65 on: Apr 13, 2023, 08:24 AM »
If anyone makes it out to the clay flats today, please share wave height. They say 1 foot or less? Looking ahead on Saturday calling for 13 miles per hour out of the south. What does this mean in actual height? Would like to go again, maybe???

taxid

« Reply #66 on: Apr 13, 2023, 12:26 PM »
I am only referring to Indiana waters of Lake Michigan and don't know much about perch in the rest of the state. But I can only recall myself ever hearing about 1 single 16 inch fish caught  in 2010 by a gentleman by the name of Steve Fiorio from Dyer, Indiana. It measured 16 5/8...  the fish was mentioned in the outdoor notebook, Chicago Sun Times, and was Indianas fish of the year...there were pics of the guy holding the fish but never seen one next to a tape or a bump board either...now I've caught lots and lots of legitimate 14s but I have only hit that 15inch mark once in my life on the big lake...I'm not saying a 16 doesn't exist, but.......

My yellow perch are pellet fed regularly and still I don't get too many that top the 15 inch mark either. 14's are common if I let them live long enough. It may be genetic.

I have a friend in Michigan that when he hears of a large perch caught and mounted somewhere will drive a long distance to authenticate it. Most of time he says they are never as big as they are said to be. He says 16 and over yellow perch are extremely rare.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.