FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Late season perch  (Read 2398 times)

greensider

Late season perch
« on: May 27, 2023, 04:13 AM »
Is anyone still targeting perch on bigger lakes I am taking someone out Monday and he wants to perch fish I usually only fish small ponds for them this time of year but will be on Cayuga with him

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
Re: Late season perch
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2023, 08:40 AM »
Yo Greensider,
It’s been pretty disappointing for me as well. My freezer is suffering. Usually have 10 bags of perch this time of year. The Pond “Sandy” has prolific numbers, all under 7 inches. Henderson has not been kind either. The only time I had any luck was fishing the St Lawrence 3 weeks ago in deep water (50 to 60 )fow. If you have any luck out of Union Springs, don’t advertise it. Just send me a Private Message.😁😁😁👍

Boggey

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2023, 09:51 AM »
I am going out this afternoon for an evening night bite for panfish and eyes bringing my green light usually brings in big panfish

62 & Done

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2023, 12:18 PM »
greensider how did you make out with the green light ?

greensider

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2023, 02:16 PM »
Well wind was supposed to be around 10 was probably 15 when I got to the lake only had my John boat got pretty beat up could not anchor on spots I wanted to it was supposed to lay down just before dark but got worse I ended up leaving as it got dark I posted my catch on the other thread

mcully

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2023, 05:48 AM »
Finger Lakes perch are just post spawn and caught about 30 on Friday in 25-30' of water along a drop off with shad type paddle tails double rigged with a drop shot weight trolling along at .5-.7mph ticking bottom.

Pequod1

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2023, 04:56 AM »
I did about the same in a fingerlake last Friday too!  One of these days I’ll bump in to you.
This time of year I like fishing the slope of a drop off. It could be 18’ or 30’ depending on the contours. I also slow troll a drop shot rig with a plastic. Right now there are a lot of two inch alewife’s around where I fish so I will try to use a plastic that imitates that.

mcully

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2023, 05:24 AM »
I think my fish were on perch fry along the same type of drop. I can cast into even shallower water and get a few but it is more productive dragging with the trolling motor. Took me years to figure some of these areas out and it can still be feast or famine. Had to hit abut 30 different waypoints before landing on a productive one.

hinkydo

« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2023, 08:55 AM »
The perch fishing for me has been along the depth of 10 to 14 ft. outside the weed line.
Bull head rig I call it, sinker on the bottom of a leader then hook 16-18 inches up from that tipped with a bait.
the other rig I use is a slip bobber set about 1 ft. off bottom of the depth I am fishing tipped with a bait.

hinkdo  Fish ON

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2023, 05:45 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Repeating my earlier post, the Pond (Sandy) has not been kind for perch keepers so far this spring. Lots of numbers, but no size.
My Annie and I did make a trip up to Chaumont on Sunday and trolled that slope along Point Peninsula . Past Cherry Island. Basically dragged standard 2 hook perch rig with Fatheads. Was rewarded greatly. Restocking the freezer and glad if this helps you do the same.

Boggey

greensider

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2023, 07:12 PM »
Was on them pretty good Sunday they were hitting everything we put near the bottom even good sized sawbellies dead or alive worms jigs it didn't matter small to good size perch 20 feet deep

Pequod1

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2023, 03:16 AM »
Excellent day yesterday on a finger.  We found good numbers in my usual haunts and then tried a new spot that I looked at last week but did not fish. That new spot was the ticket. Had up- down action constantly.  We were on the shallow flat off the drop this time..
first thing we did was “ learn” my new ulterra.  That was fun.  My buddy read the directions as I followed step by step.  Good thing there were no witnesses ;D
I have on new toy now. A 2023 Lund adventure sport. Loving it. 

reeleyz

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2023, 07:28 AM »
Congrats on the new boat P1!

skinny40

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2023, 08:06 AM »
That’s a lucky Lund indeed. It will be used to its full potential unlike my starcrafts that have both been dry all season.

Pequod1

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2023, 05:22 PM »
I hope you can get on the water soon Skinny. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.