FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: smallies on the beds  (Read 1367 times)

rivereddy

smallies on the beds
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:48 AM »
It's spawning time for central Indiana smallies.  Indiana has no closed season and the prevailing dry spell has
really conspired against them.  For the last few years, we have had wet springs and high water prior to the spawn.
Unfortunately, when the rains stopped, the streams dropped to "normal levels" but didn't stop there. Now they are
low and clear and the spawning beds are easy to see.  This morning I saw 10, count 'em trucks lined up at a site
where the river is accessible.

fish on

rivereddy

taxid

Re: smallies on the beds
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 01:10 PM »
It's spawning time for central Indiana smallies.  Indiana has no closed season and the prevailing dry spell has
really conspired against them.  For the last few years, we have had wet springs and high water prior to the spawn.
Unfortunately, when the rains stopped, the streams dropped to "normal levels" but didn't stop there. Now they are
low and clear and the spawning beds are easy to see.  This morning I saw 10, count 'em trucks lined up at a site
where the river is accessible.

fish on

rivereddy

Same thing happens with bluegill beds in my area. No closed season AND no bag limit. Some anglers remove every last one of them in a colony as they are so easy to catch.  And as we seem to warm up earlier every year, bedding now corresponds with Memorial Day weekend -- well you guessed it -- they really get hammered!

I used to catch large bluegills on the beds (Yes I caught some but have my limits) when on vacation with peak spawning in the middle of June in the northeast state I go to. Now it's all over for the big ones by the beginning of June. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 01:34 PM »
Bluegill beds I’ve been watching at my favorite spot.

They’re all along the shoreline.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 03:19 PM »
Here's one of my favorite pictures of pumpkinseeds bedding in front of an Airbnb cottage the wife and I rented in Massachusetts a few years ago. Beautiful fish and fun on a fly rod.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 03:43 PM »
I’ve left them alone for the past few days.I have other things I can do.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 05:15 PM »
I’ve left them alone for the past few days.I have other things I can do.
If it was here they'd be all fished out in a day or two.

Jig_Head

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2023, 11:02 AM »
Yeah I think they need a closed season on bluegill and smallies, or at least just make it catch and release.
Are smallmouth good eating? I've definitely caught my share but have never kept one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.