FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: resorvoir fishing 4 eyes  (Read 2398 times)

jacksgp

resorvoir fishing 4 eyes
« on: Jun 02, 2005, 09:56 PM »
I fish Boyd's corner reservoir in Putnam County, New York and cannot figure out how to catch these walleyes with any consistency. I am new to walleye fishing, not many places here to fish for them but I would love to learn more about them. Only rowboats are allowed so many techniques I read about are not practical here. I have caught them jigging mister twisters tipped with  night crawlers, trolling shiners occasionally but never catch more than one if any at all? Do they school up? I have anchored where I have caught one jigging , used the same color but have never caught another. Likewise I have trolled the same route after catching one but have never hooked up twice. Are reservoirs different from lakes ? if so how? Any tips for rowbot fishing? been a bass and trout fisherman all my life but know very little about these walleyes. Best eating freshwater fish in my opinion, would love to catch a few more. Thanks in Advance

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: resorvoir fishing 4 eyes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Jacksgp, walleye fishing in a reservoir is pretty much the same as lake fishing. Walleye are usually associated with underwater structure, they like land point near drop offs, stone rip-rap on a dam face, sunken islands, flooded creek channels and weed growth. Walleye have very well developed eyes for seeing in low light conditions, as such they feed most actively just before sunrise and just at sunset. They still can be caught during the day, though there strike zone will be smaller, In the heat of the day they like to be in the shadows,{easier on there sensitive eyes} be it rock piles or weed growth, and wait for prey to swim by. If your reservoir has a large algae bloom then the fish will be active all day long.
 Walleye tend to school with fish of there own size, so if you are in an area and you get a larger fish, try drifting or trolling a few more times through it, chances are you will get another larger fish.
 Lures for walleye can really vary, you have to take in for account the time of day, weather, algae bloom and forage present in the body of water. I have found walleye tend to like the brighter colors of lures and jigs, colors like fire tiger, white, red, orange, chartruse and yellow all work well. The good old Mr.twister, or Berkley curly tail work well as do swim baits, crankbaits and live or frozen bait.
 When fishing from a row boat I would add a rod holder near the back of the boat, that way you can row with out hitting the rod and watch for a strike, plus the rowing motion should give a lure a neat stop and go action that walleye like.
I hope this helps, Good Fishing ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Mackdaddy21

Re: resorvoir fishing 4 eyes
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2005, 01:01 AM »
Here in Colorado, its all reservoir fishing. We don't have any natural lakes except a few in the mountains.
Its pretty much the same with the exception that the walleyes eat mostly crawdads and young of year gamefish as the western slope lakes don't have pelagic forage.
Pretty much they bite only good at dusk and dawn. Fishing around rip rap, drop offs, points, and big gravel flats are the best places to fish.
Reservoir walleyes don't seem to act different from what you guys describe how natural lake eyes act.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.