FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56410 times)

lpv89

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #135 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:19 PM »
gonna crush those steelies/bows up at the salmon saturday! can not wait. WNY invasion is coming
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #136 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:20 PM »
OMG bring on the ice already  ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #137 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:21 PM »
gonna crush those steelies/bows up at the salmon saturday! can not wait. WNY invasion is coming

Maybe I'll see you!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #138 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Back to class..
Rainbow Trout

STEELHEAD

SEE THE DIFFERANCES?

I don't want to hear that the steelhead is not the same fish that we have here. It's a west coast fish that runs real Rivers for hundreds of miles.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

lpv89

« Reply #139 on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:24 PM »
fishagalore. where ya gonna be fishing? because i have no clue where i will be. just gonna walk and fish
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

fishgalore

« Reply #140 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:13 PM »
fishagalore. where ya gonna be fishing? because i have no clue where i will be. just gonna walk and fish

Friday up high in a driftboat. Likely stay high (Altmar) afterwards. Then Saturday I'd bet we'll start down low...........Staircase/Long Bridge run. Then likely after lunch or if the action is slow back to Altmar later in the day.

Sunday, on the way out and back home, hit Oz. Last time we thought about noon and then fished til 4 pm. I'd bet we stay late into the afternoon. I'll pm my # but I don't get good reception in Altmar so it might be hit or miss unless I'm in the river. The lodge is bad reception.

H.T.

« Reply #141 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Friday up high in a driftboat. Likely stay high (Altmar) afterwards. Then Saturday I'd bet we'll start down low...........Staircase/Long Bridge run. Then likely after lunch or if the action is slow back to Altmar later in the day.

Sunday, on the way out and back home, hit Oz. Last time we thought about noon and then fished til 4 pm. I'd bet we stay late into the afternoon. I'll pm my # but I don't get good reception in Altmar so it might be hit or miss unless I'm in the river. The lodge is bad reception.
good luck bob if i dont see you 8)

fishgalore

« Reply #142 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Back to class..
Rainbow Trout

STEELHEAD

SEE THE DIFFERANCES?

I don't want to hear that the steelhead is not the same fish that we have here. It's a west coast fish that runs real Rivers for hundreds of miles.

Frank, not trying to be rude but didn't we get past this? How about some of the pics where rainbow colored fish are being called Steelies like in the Syracuse.com thread griz posted? What's your take on that fish or the one I posted and called a Steelie but it looks like a Rainbow between a Steelie and Brown?

Plenty of opinions vary on the ID issue. What I want to learn is why the issue is real and can we ID those specific characteristics that help us consistently ID properly with certainty? What's your take on the pics lpv89 supplied?

fishgalore

« Reply #143 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:20 PM »
good luck bob if i dont see you 8)

Thanks HT, I need more skill than luck though. The fish are there and I've had plenty of hookups!

H.T.

« Reply #144 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Thanks HT, I need more skill than luck though. The fish are there and I've had plenty of hookups!
bob.......use the same skills that you already know with the other rivers that you fish. and listen to snagger also. you are a smart man and you will figure out what to do. have fun is the most important thing. fish are a bonus remember that 8)

fishgalore

« Reply #145 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:31 PM »
bob.......use the same skills that you already know with the other rivers that you fish. and listen to snagger also. you are a smart man and you will figure out what to do. have fun is the most important thing. fish are a bonus remember that 8)

That's what keeps me coming back. Meeting nice people & having fun..........the pursuit of fish is the bonus. Good advise.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #146 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Bob if you fish oz Sunday you will clearly see the difference before you even see the fish. Rainbows will have a much redder gill plate. They willfight but not like a steels. Rainbows do that fast short darting around where the steelies will make a run. The bows fight alot like a brown but more towards the surface withe the darting action. If you catch both you will clearly see. I used to think they where hard yo tell apart then this thread got me thinking and last Sunday we went and you could easily tell the difference as soon as the float dropped.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #147 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:09 PM »
me and a group of friends are coming up to the Salmon on saturday it looks like! a Suicide from WNY. cant wait here are my pics from an  Trib this past weekend

first pic bow. Rest steelies

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #148 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:02 AM »
Bump!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #149 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Frank, not trying to be rude but didn't we get past this? How about some of the pics where rainbow colored fish are being called Steelies like in the Syracuse.com thread griz posted? What's your take on that fish or the one I posted and called a Steelie but it looks like a Rainbow between a Steelie and Brown?

Plenty of opinions vary on the ID issue. What I want to learn is why the issue is real and can we ID those specific characteristics that help us consistently ID properly with certainty? What's your take on the pics lpv89 supplied?

Bob, not trying to be rude either Buddy. This whole thing started on page 42 on the Oswego River post.  Re: oswego river report
« Reply #623 on: Oct 18, 2011, 05:34 PM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: trapper2000 on Oct 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/steelhead/id.htm

you can't  tell  by  spots  fact  is  biologist  have  trouble  in  the  1980  they lumbed  them  alltogether ,  reason  for  this  is  that  great lake  steelhead  are  actually  just  rainbows    from a  hatchery   native  strain  west  coast  fish  appear  diffrent    ,the  debate  will  go on  forever  ...  my personal  opinion  (and  that  of  the  great lake  states)  i  think there  the  exact  same  fish   

trap how many times do i have to show you the differance. the magnet does'nt stick to the rainbow but it does stick to a steel head. write this down for future reference 
So this where all the trouble started! The IDing of the fish was the whole post.. So now I am confused. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.