FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561103 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3915 on: Sep 22, 2023, 02:34 PM »
And an old South bend finalist reel I’d guess.i have a few…..and a Fenglas fly rod.

Sweet setup!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3916 on: Sep 22, 2023, 04:35 PM »
Hello rg!  I hope you're getting a chance to wet a line between all that mowing. I've been in dry dock since early July as the heat was more than I wanted. Now maybe I can get a few nice days in before deer season consumes my time. That sweet old reel is a Pfluegar Medalist that was on the rod when I got it. I actually found another one on ebay this summer that I bought just to have an extra spool. Now I can switch from a floating to a sinking line while on the water. Works for me. I did purchase a 9ft rod earlier with a low budget reel but have used it very little since it got warm.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3917 on: Sep 23, 2023, 04:22 AM »
Now that I look closer I see it is a medalist. Never seen one with a red spool. I’ve got a couple, one of which was my first fly reel. It stays on the shelf for the most part.

I’m gonna take the 2 wt  fly rod out in a bit (when it gets light) and harass some blue gills.  Might take its mate, a spinning rod I made from one of the two blanks I bought a number of years ago. Those two little rods are a hoot to fish with. I’ll have to take my big pruners with me to clear away some of the brush that grew up in my favorite spot over the summer. Otherwise it’ll be tangle city.

Things are slowing down at the course, but the grass doesn’t know that. We’ll be mowing into November most likely. We have bent grass tees, fairways, approaches and greens. The bent gets pretty sleepy this time of year, but the Kentucky Blue rough is going crazy. Takes 2 full time guys to keep it under control. .
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3918 on: Sep 25, 2023, 07:18 PM »
rg that's my fly line that you're looking at that makes the spool appear red. It's actually black and the orange line shows thru the holes

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #3919 on: Oct 06, 2023, 08:08 AM »
Now that I look closer I see it is a medalist. Never seen one with a red spool. I’ve got a couple, one of which was my first fly reel. It stays on the shelf for the most part.

I’m gonna take the 2 wt  fly rod out in a bit (when it gets light) and harass some blue gills.  Might take its mate, a spinning rod I made from one of the two blanks I bought a number of years ago. Those two little rods are a hoot to fish with. I’ll have to take my big pruners with me to clear away some of the brush that grew up in my favorite spot over the summer. Otherwise it’ll be tangle city.

Things are slowing down at the course, but the grass doesn’t know that. We’ll be mowing into November most likely. We have bent grass tees, fairways, approaches and greens. The bent gets pretty sleepy this time of year, but the Kentucky Blue rough is going crazy. Takes 2 full time guys to keep it under control. .

RG is the grass code for something else? Wookie? I hear ya on getting the fly rod out, gonna my st. croix 8wt out next week for ontario fish. I made a 9wt Northfork/Loomis and love it, but over kill on the fall run fish in my view.
Internet heros give it a rest!

Mac Attack

« Reply #3920 on: Oct 06, 2023, 10:10 AM »
RG is the grass code for something else? Wookie? I hear ya on getting the fly rod out, gonna my st. croix 8wt out next week for ontario fish. I made a 9wt Northfork/Loomis and love it, but over kill on the fall run fish in my view.

Bob mows lawns at a local golf course Rich.
However, he is an old hippie.
Sooooo......................................

;)

ECobb91

« Reply #3921 on: Oct 06, 2023, 07:04 PM »

I made my cousin a 10’ 9wt Rainshadow Revelation for the Salmon River and it’s a pretty soft 9wt. Feels more like an 8 but has a great power in the butt section. Might be something worth checking out if you’re wanting a lesser powered rod.

If you like the St Croix, RodGeeks C4 (SCIV) blanks are great. I built a 4wt for my dad and paired it with a Lamson Liquid/SA Amplitude Infinity. Smoothest casting fly rod I’ve ever felt. A few guys on another forum have mentioned their C4 builds impressed Sage and Winston users regularly.

I built myself an NFC F904-2 and paired it with a cheeky preload. It’s a fantastic rod but there’s definitely a difference between the two in favor of the RodGeeks. Now it could be the line, and the rod just prefers a 1/2wt heavier, but I digress.

I used to be a St Croix fanboy, and once I started building my own I’m becoming more of a NFC fan, but that C4 fly blank is something special especially for $100.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3922 on: Oct 06, 2023, 10:04 PM »
Well, I’m not really an “old hippie” as Mac suggests. But I do work as a greenskeeper at a local golf course. I mow tees, approaches, collars and greens. I enjoy it more than I can express.

I’ve built all my fly rods but 2. 2 wt to 10 wt, and countless others. I still prefer an IM6 blank to any of the others. They’re forgiving, powerful enough and durable. Match a line to your casting ability and it’s a great setup. Reels don’t really matter in most cases. They’re just line holders and ego boosters. for the most part.

ECobb91

« Reply #3923 on: Oct 07, 2023, 09:03 AM »
Ya I agree, for the size of the fish we catch, reels are just glorified line holders.  I was just attempting to say that better line could probably help make my NFC perform better so it’s not a true comparison between the two

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3924 on: Oct 07, 2023, 06:00 PM »
It’s all about the match isn’t it?
Can’t throw a rock with a feather I guess.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3925 on: Oct 07, 2023, 06:34 PM »
I bought everything to build the flyrod.
Even the reel.
(Bob - you helped me with the choice on wt, etc.)
Just have not built the rod yet.
After the new year.
I'm having my shed lengthened (2X).
This will give me badly needed shelves for storage, but also allow me to build a decent length workbench.
This longer workbench will give me room for my rod lathe.
I actually have a few different rods that need building.
Soon.

62 & Done

« Reply #3926 on: Mar 27, 2024, 12:34 PM »
time to get this thread back where it belongs:       I'm looking for different opinions about strike indicators
        Are they necessary?   too much hassle ?   do you have a favorite ?

I tried the wool/yarn type and didn't care to deal with it    Tried the foam bobber type it was ok, it did the job    I'm thinking of the braided Czeck type but will they be too much stuff to create a birds nest for a novice fly caster ? 

Any suggestions appreciated   62

oatkasut

« Reply #3927 on: Mar 27, 2024, 02:16 PM »
With regard to strike indicators, I started and stayed with indicator putty which I found worked quite well. BUT  I met a guy who outfished me 3:1 who taught me to fish without an indicator. Now I never use an indicator and find that with some practice you can catch and out fish those who use the indicator. The limits to any indicator are obvious, it limits  or dictates the drift of the fly, it  hampers and condenses the depth of the  fly, it travels at a speed different than the fly, and it restricts the action you can impart to the fly to make it look more natural. Plus you will never have the problem of moving an indicator or buying that stuff! It also makes you pay more attention to your fishing and allows you develop the skills of  presentation and bite detection. That alone increases your enjoyment of fly fishing!  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

62 & Done

« Reply #3928 on: Mar 27, 2024, 02:33 PM »
Thanks Oatkasut I have to agree with it all, I think half my problems last summer started with the float indicator.

would love to hear from others

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3929 on: Mar 27, 2024, 03:33 PM »
i do both ,at times i usee a  floating  strike  indicator at others i  don't  but in honesty  when i don't have a   indicator on i'm watching that leader   on the drift  just like it was ......do i think there is a better  way ..... what ever  you feel works best ....short line  nymphing  probablly makes no  difference  if you can  see your leader . if you  fishing deep with a sinking tip you better be able to  read a  hit  without one  .....  thats all part of the  fun
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.