FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wolf pack taking a moose  (Read 12906 times)

walkonwater1

wolf pack taking a moose
« on: Jun 15, 2007, 03:14 PM »

hookemandcookem

Re: wolf pack taking a moose
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2007, 02:20 AM »
How did you come by those pics?
HookemandCookem

fireplug

• I fish, therefore I lie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2007, 04:30 AM »
Very cool.
Time not spent outdoors is wasted time.....

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:13 AM »
that is NOT cool at all.  that is a perfectly healthy specimen of a species that is on a clear decline, at least in my area, and those wolves are just quickening the process.  if they don't begin initiating wolf population management (legalize hunting), the numbers are going to continue to skyrocket, and the elk, deer, moose, and many other groups of animals will bear the brunt.  not cool.  even if there were wolves before humans wiped them out, and we owe it to the wolves to reintroduce them, you'd think it would be proper to introduce the same type of wolf that was here before.  but these are canadian grey wolves, not the same as the original timber wolves- more voracious and bigger.  plus the fact that this ecosystem has been evolving for 40 or 50 years without wolves, and to let them run rampant on these animals that don't even know what a wolf is, in my opinion, is a crime.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:22 AM »
that is NOT cool at all.  that is a perfectly healthy specimen of a species that is on a clear decline, at least in my area, and those wolves are just quickening the process.  if they don't begin initiating wolf population management (legalize hunting), the numbers are going to continue to skyrocket, and the elk, deer, moose, and many other herds will bear the brunt.  not cool.  even if there were wolves before humans wiped them out, and we owe it to the wolves to reintroduce them, you'd think it would be proper to introduce the same type of wolf that was here before.  but these are canadian grey wolves, not the same - more voracious and bigger.  plus the fact that this ecosystem has been evolvng for 40 or 50 years without wolves, and to let them run rampant on these animals that don't even know what a wolf is is a crime.

how can you tell its perfectly healthy?

Fishing is life

MIRC!

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:29 AM »
i know a sick animal when i see one - this moose has a full coat in mid-winter, full body (no sign of malnutrion or disease), and it wouldn't take a whole pack of seven wolves to bring down a sick moose.  these wolves do not seek out the weak and sick.  they kill for sport.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

Neptune

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:29 AM »
BD, just remember that a moose can be "Weak of Mind" also, and that doesn't show on the outside....meaning dumber than the wolves, that results in smarter Moose!

johndeere540

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I saw these pics somewhere else.  Either way you look at it I dont like wolves, but they have to eat too. I just wish that pack was here for a while to take care of some of the moose that we have in northern Vt. They'lle drive deer out of an area probably more than the wolves would.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:34 AM »
BD, just remember that a moose can be "Weak of Mind" also, and that doesn't show on the outside....meaning dumber than the wolves, that results in smarter Moose!
Does "BRAINWORM" sound familiar?  :o
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

johndeere540

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Does "BRAINWORM" sound familiar?  :o
   Before we got an exploding moose population here in Vt, we had a bunch of moose in the area with brain worm. They looked healthy but would just hang around peoples yards for days being a nuisance until finnally the game wardens would just shootthem. These woose would be a pretty easy target forlots of predators, i believe even a pack of coyotes.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2007, 09:01 AM »
The Brainworm is the isue for Michigans Moose heard too, as well as predation from Wolves.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

johndeere540

« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2007, 09:25 AM »
I cant speak for every one in Vt but I wouldnt miss the moose if they were all gone as I well know many other deer hunters here that feel the same way.

fireplug

« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:42 PM »
that is NOT cool at all.  that is a perfectly healthy specimen of a species that is on a clear decline, at least in my area, and those wolves are just quickening the process.  if they don't begin initiating wolf population management (legalize hunting), the numbers are going to continue to skyrocket, and the elk, deer, moose, and many other groups of animals will bear the brunt.  not cool.  even if there were wolves before humans wiped them out, and we owe it to the wolves to reintroduce them, you'd think it would be proper to introduce the same type of wolf that was here before.  but these are canadian grey wolves, not the same as the original timber wolves- more voracious and bigger.  plus the fact that this ecosystem has been evolving for 40 or 50 years without wolves, and to let them run rampant on these animals that don't even know what a wolf is, in my opinion, is a crime.
I agree that the re-introduction of wolves, followed by their protection, which resulted in the apparent destruction of the ecosystem, is not cool. I know they are a supreme predator, and are causing all kinds of damage.  I am not making a judgement on their reintroduction, etc.....  I do not agree with that. 

However, the fact that there was a camera able to capture this occurrence and we could see it is very cool to me. 

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:06 AM »
you have to look at what the planet would be like if there was no human interference at all. Wolves and moose would be living in ohio. and wolves would still be attacking moose. Look in the northern parts of canada. Natural #'s of moose with natural #'s of wolves

Fishing is life

MIRC!

fireplug

« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2007, 04:32 AM »
you have to look at what the planet would be like if there was no human interference at all. Wolves and moose would be living in ohio. and wolves would still be attacking moose. Look in the northern parts of canada. Natural #'s of moose with natural #'s of wolves
True, very true. Elk walking around Cincinnati, Moose in Detroit, Wild Turkeys in NYC (oops, that is already happening!).  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.