FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swimming Squirrel  (Read 6271 times)

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Swimming Squirrel
« on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:13 PM »
Here are two pictures of a squirrel we saw swimming across the Connecticut River in Northfield, MA.  I am guessing that the river is around 1000 to 1200 feet across in that spot, with medium current.  Don't think he fell out of a tree, as his head and part of his tail were stilll dry.  It was pretty funny watching him keep his head above our boat wake!  Got to the other shore, looked at us, shook off, and took off up a tree.  The first picture was taken as he was about 2/3rds of the way across. 

I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Swimming Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2004, 08:39 PM »
that squirrel is a new crank bait that I was trying for the day. Looks real eh ;D ;D   On a serious note that is a great shot. Never thought they would swim. Must be searching for some nuts in all the wrong places. ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

fastribs85

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2004, 09:25 PM »
i think that squirrel is nuckin futs man that would make one heck of a pike or muskey lure wouldnt it just imagine it would be like fishing a popper for bass but about 100Xs better
naked women and beer we got it all in here

fozsey

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2004, 10:12 PM »
I have seen a squirrel do almost everything in my lifetime, but I have never seen one swim b4. That is a new one for me. They are one talented creature.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I bet this squirrel hasn't seen the pictures of the 70+ inch pike on the other thread  ;D :o ;)

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

slipbob

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2004, 01:47 PM »
 Swimming squirrels are not uncommon at all.  They can and will migrate for food sources including swimming across whatever is in the way of mast crops.  About 15 years ago there was an extremely dry summer in our area and on the one lake we fished a lot there were at times several squirrels crossing a reservoir close to a half mile wide.  It was all about the mast crop which was extremely poor that year forcing a large documented squirrel movement.  It was wild as you would be fishing and see swimming squirrels frequently.  It was September and very dry.  Swimming deer are another thing that's quite a sight.  Many mornings fishing on Cannonsville reservoir, a giant NYC water supply reservoir that is extremely remote, you would see small groups of deer crossing the expanse which in some places is a mile wide.  You would just see heads and a wake in the early morning fog.  Pretty cool stuff.

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2004, 02:17 PM »
I've seen them swim across a local pond here as well.........at first I thought they were either muscrat or otters but after a closer look, I realized they were squirels.....a rare site but I have seen this as well.

Bartman44

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2004, 07:36 PM »
What Slip Bob said.

I was fishing the Esopus Creek one September a number of years ago and within an hour a saw at least 10 squirrels jump into the creek and swim across it.  It was weird.

That same week there was an article in the local newspaper about a squirrel migration that was happening.   

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2004, 09:00 PM »
I've never seen a squirrel swimming across open water before, good pictures!  I guess a number of us have seen deer, moose or bear in the water, but the only really amazing time I saw an animal in water was a bear in the middle of the Mackenzie River in the NWT (over a mile wide at that spot).  I don' t know if he was trying to cross, but he was being carried north at about 5 knots.  If he was aiming to migrate he was sure doing it the easy way. :)

slipbob

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2004, 01:56 PM »
This research paper is based on a fine example of squirrel migration.  Again it does happen more than you think but the big events are less common and depend on mast crops.
http://www.myoutbox.net/flyger.htm 

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Funny lookin' beaver!! 

Hookset

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2004, 10:14 AM »
I bet it tastes like chicken...
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2005, 05:00 PM »
I have see alot of dea floaters, never a swimming one though!
GIT _ R _ DONE

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2005, 03:32 AM »
Pike bait!!!!
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2005, 11:22 AM »
im sure a pike would eat him, my dad was telling me anout an ariticale he was reading in the locale paper a few years back, some bird wachers were watching a rare bird that was sitting on a lilly pad on a pond and BAM it dissapers under the pond, the fish and game figured it was a big northern, now the bird watchers are going to want us to kill all the pike we catch so the pike wont kill the birds
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.