FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bugz  (Read 4410 times)

Chucker

Bugz
« on: Jun 04, 2005, 05:29 AM »
We just moved into our first house three weeks ago, and a teeny part of the decision was the creek out back.  I've already seen plenty of mayflies, caddis, and midges, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to start a little blog of sorts as the hatches come off.  The Hendricksons are over, and I never got a shot of them, so we'll start here...

(taken 6/2/05, 6:00 PM)

devil-man

Re: Bugz
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2005, 05:35 AM »
Nice shot!
Do you fly fish?

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Sorta....  I never really learned properly, and have just begun to fiddle with it again after 10 years or so. 

Chucker

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2005, 09:46 AM »
OK, two more, taken this morning (6/4/05, 8:30 AM).  Went to go run errands, and found this little feller sitting on my car window.  He stayed there until I hit about 40mph on the expressway. 

Chucker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2005, 11:19 AM »
OK, one more for the day, and I promise I'll stop.  I saw a sweet alderfly sitting on a weed next to the stream, and ran inside to get the camera.  It bolted as I got back down to the creek.  The black-winged damsel was also uncooperative.  I tried shooting other damsels, but can't trust the auto-focus.  Same goes for the black caddis.  I ended up with this cast-off molt when I was out on the porch roof, trying to catch up with the black-winged damsel again. 

(Taken 6/4/05, 12:00 PM)

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Quite the hatches you have there! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait  to see the aquarium! ;)

Chucker

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2005, 05:53 AM »
There were a ton of black caddis out back last night, but sorry, no pics.

Chucker

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2005, 06:58 AM »
Saw a few on the door leading out on to the porch roof this morning, so out I went (taken 6/5/05, 7:45 AM)-

Blue-wing olive and molt, I'd assume.....

Dunno what this guy is -

gudkatch

• when I yell fish on...GRAB THE NET!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Saw a few on the door leading out on to the porch roof this morning, so out I went (taken 6/5/05, 7:45 AM)-

Dunno what this guy is -

Chucker great photos w/ the topic. I wish I had a creek right in my back yard to play around with the bugs.  Id never get anything done.
That little critter you got there is a spinner from the Sulphur.

Gudkatch
The man who coined the phrase "money can't buy happiness" never bought himself a good flyrod.

Chucker

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Thanks for the ID - that'd make sense.  I've seen some real bright mayflies lately, but haven't had the chance to snap any pics. 

Water has been high and quite muddy all week from the steady diet of thunderstorms we've had.  Kind of puts the damper on first day of smallies season in the backyard.

Chucker

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2005, 08:01 AM »
Updates to this thread are long overdue.  Here's a crane fly on the outside of the screen porch to start.  The busy background sucks, but not much I can do about that.

I've also got a dead, large mayfly spinner that I just need to get into focus.  We saw the spinner fall last Thursday evening - from underneath.  It was amazing to drift under them in the kayak, and watch them swoop down to our head level, then zoom climb back up to the top of the pack.  Simply beautiful.

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:33 AM »
Very cool thread, Chucker.
You really should take up fly-fishing...

Chucker

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:34 AM »
I really haven't flyfished in about 10-12 years, and I sucked back then.  Lines and leaders will need replacing, but it's on my to-do list.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:37 AM »
Here ya go, guess this one.  ;)

Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:40 AM »
I really haven't flyfished in about 10-12 years, and I sucked back then.  Lines and leaders will need replacing, but it's on my to-do list.

I suck at it, too. Practice!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.