FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sort of like fishing  (Read 5104 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Sort of like fishing
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I love to fish, hunt, gather, and garden but man do I like to put it all together at the end of the day and make a meal for the family. Cooking is just as much of a passion for me as the outdoors.

Funny story that I will try to make short and sweet -

Honeymoon for the wife and I in Gatlinburg TN 4 years ago. We were sight seeing the Ogles Log House and property and the wife needed to use a restroom. Well there are'nt any restrooms so off into the woods she went. She gets back and tells me she saw some mushrooms so we went back and crazy enough they were birch boletes which I am familiar with picking in my region. I picked them and took them back to our cabin once we were done sight seeing for the day. Back at the cabin we were limited to what we had for ingredients but we did have potatoes, carrots, and ranch chip dip. What we did not have is flour to thicken up the sauce but here lies my little intuitive brain. potato starch! I boiled potatoes and left a bit of the watery starch to act as a thickening agent and boy did it work out great! I also used a little bit of the ranch dip as the "cream" and I had an award wining mushroom gravy over potatoes!
Wicked Wec

bogtrotter

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Just one word in reply to both your first and last posts in this thread - - yummy! :)

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Just one word in reply to both your first and last posts in this thread - - yummy! :)

Both of you know how to eat.  I'm afraid my palate isn't as advanced.  Even so, I can make a mean hotdog on a buddy heater!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:17 AM »

lol thanks.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Both of you know how to eat.  I'm afraid my palate isn't as advanced.  Even so, I can make a mean hotdog on a buddy heater!

I would love to try that buddy dog this ice season chasing lakers.
Wicked Wec

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Ill be doing some of that this coming weekend, been crabbing down in South Mass my whole life and I love it!!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Just made a couple of homemade crab traps to try this weekend.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:39 AM »

Nothing wrong with cased meats Jon. Especially on the hard water

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with cased meats Jon. Especially on the hard water

I completely agree with this. I am going to try to make my first batch of home made hot dogs. I have a bowl cutter that I have not used yet and I think its time. This would be perfect for ice fishing. Anyone that ice fished with me knows that I ALWAYS bring some home made kielbasa. Its just a matter of cooking it that can be a problem if the fishing is great. The good thing is its smoked so its edible frozen as well. lol
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I like meat in tube form.  I made tog cakes on the ice once.  I used to go wild pike fishing because I was usually bored.

westernmas

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2018, 12:22 PM »
I completely agree with this. I am going to try to make my first batch of home made hot dogs. I have a bowl cutter that I have not used yet and I think its time. This would be perfect for ice fishing. Anyone that ice fished with me knows that I ALWAYS bring some home made kielbasa. Its just a matter of cooking it that can be a problem if the fishing is great. The good thing is its smoked so its edible frozen as well. lol

Exactly why I like charcoal on the ice.  You get a few coals in there and can cook things low and slow.  You just need to tend to it when the fishing gets slow.  However if its really windy its a PITA.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I pack a mini coleman grill in my otter for laker fishing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Yeah I actually have a 2 burner coleman grill that fits in my sled and I can grill on one side and use a pan or pot on the other. Either that or if i am running and gunning I toss my Snow Peak Stove and a small can of gas into my backpack along with a pack of dogs and a pack of ramen.

We tried the charcoal thing and we were not a fan.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Yeah I actually have a 2 burner coleman grill that fits in my sled and I can grill on one side and use a pan or pot on the other. Either that or if i am running and gunning I toss my Snow Peak Stove and a small can of gas into my backpack along with a pack of dogs and a pack of ramen.

We tried the charcoal thing and we were not a fan.

I hear ya.  It can be cumbersome at times to lug out the grill, charcoal and a chimney starter but its either that or cold sandwiches.  Having something warm to eat can be what keeps me on the ice for a few more hours.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Aug 09, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I hear ya.  It can be cumbersome at times to lug out the grill, charcoal and a chimney starter but its either that or cold sandwiches.  Having something warm to eat can be what keeps me on the ice for a few more hours.

You're too busy jigging perch.  Lets go fish for pike and make a feast.  I like doing that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.