FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quick Strike Rig for Pike  (Read 2024 times)

RuralMT

Quick Strike Rig for Pike
« on: May 26, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Good mid-morning all from the great state of Montana!  I have a question for you regarding the quick strike setup for pike.  I'm normally loathe to fish dead bait under a bobber, but as stubborn as I am, I've been refining my technique as the pike in my area aren't actively chasing lures yet.  When you rig your quick strike setup, how do you keep the fish from swallowing the treble hook?  I went out yesterday and intended on releasing the bigger fish of the day, but ended up taking a 30"er home because the front hook was down in his belly, even though I set the hook quickly. 

Do pike tend to hit dead bait from the front, and if so, would rigging the treble hooks towards the back end of the smelt result in more grabs in the pike's mouth?  My setup was as follows: I tied a barrel swivel to the main line and ran two 10" pieces of  50 lb. mono off of the other end of the swivel, to which I tied two size 2 treble hooks.  I had the smelt hooked in the head and behind the dorsal and had it balanced with split shot so it hung horizontal in the water.

RuralMT

Re: Quick Strike Rig for Pike
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:33 AM »
Update: (for those of you experiencing the same thing I am).  I went out again today and tested the above-mentioned setup.  I landed 7 fish and only kept one due to deep-hooking.  It seemed like if you could set the hook on the first dip of the bobber you'd hook them in their upper mouth.  I'd still like to know your experience with dead-bait and pike.  How do you rig it? Are you hooking them deep or up in their lips? I'm a fly-fisherman learning to spin-fish and discovering smelt under a bobber was like remembering Christmas for the first time...however, I don't want to hook fish deep if I can avoid it.  Is that the nature of the game when you set dead bait for them?

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Why not try circle hooks instead.
They are made to hook in the mouth.
Don’t set the hook.
Just reel.
I went to them on cats to avoid the fish swallowing the hook and it works great.
I used to have to cut the line and leave the hook inside the fish so it would rot out.
Also, stay away from stainless hooks if you cut the line and leave them to rot as obviously they won’t.

RuralMT

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:58 PM »
Why not try circle hooks instead.
They are made to hook in the mouth.
How is your hookup rate on circle hooks vs. treble hooks?  Any idea why they result in fewer swallowed baits?

also used a large kale with a treble above that sliding on line/leader.  that seems to work especially well on tipups.
Kahle hook, as in one with a weed guard?  I'm not sure how that would help me.  Also, if you're using one in-line with a treble, wouldn't that result in a vertical hanging bait?  Is that better/worse/same as hanging one horizontal?

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 09:54 AM »

How is your hookup rate on circle hooks vs. treble hooks?  Any idea why they result in fewer swallowed baits?

I don't miss many cats using them.

Here's a good article on them and why they work.

https://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/circle-hooks.html

RuralMT

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the replies fellas!

Piltzviller

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I use a pike hook, hard to find in stores.  They do swallow it from time to time, but pretty easy to get out.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Use quick strikes with larger bait and set the hook as soon as the bobber moves. circle/regular hooks are better for smaller bait that they can inhale whole.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I have used quick strike rigs for different fish for about 30 years and rarely hook deep. I do set the hook as soon as I get a pick-up... That is the point of the rig... I also use Double rider Hook, not trebles and when I can't find them I make them;

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.