FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Why's so hard to find a 12 volt smaller battery my fish finder on the kayak?  (Read 4419 times)

taxid

Have tried Cabelas, Dick's, and L.L. Bean while I'm on the road headed to my vacation destination in Maine from Indiana. All have 12 volt batteries for the big boats that are too heavy for the kayak. LL Bean said no problem we have a small 35 pound battery. Huh? That's too heavy for my kayak! The nose would be buried in the water!

All the above stores probably would have the battery I need in the winter, as in for ice fishing fish finders but not now!

What gripes me is they are all into selling kayaks but when you ask about a battery for one to use with a fish finder they are confused. You put a fish finder on a kayak? Well Yeah!

Trouble is I'm on vacation and ordering would take a few days.

I could pick up a motorcycle battery from Walmart but it won't be deep cycle.

Any ideas?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

Might try a interstate battery store if there's one along your route.

That's sad those stores don't realize what accessories people are putting on kayaks now.i know a lot of people are using portables on boats also, they probably don't realize that either and that there's a need for parts for them.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Stop at Lowes and buy a garden tractor battery or a 12 v SLA. You could use a motorcycle battery too, but they're more expensive..

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ship of fools

ADI is an alarm equipment distributor with locations nationwide.

They will have several options in stock for you.

Mac Attack

Amazon - 2 day delivery with Prime.
Or pay for overnight.
Can you have it shipped to your destination.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gell+cell+batteries&crid=OXANHU89KAQ1&sprefix=gell+cell%2Caps%2C184&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

lowaccord66

bigal409

Any NAPA store would have the smaller batteries. I get mine for my Vexilar there.

taxid

I got lucky! I tried another Dick's Sporting Good's in nearby Augusta, Maine and brought my old battery inside. Manager was on the ball and took me right to who I needed to talk to and she had several Vexilar batteries. I bought two. May or may not wire the together with clips in parallel. Will see how one does to determine if I do that. Since I'm right on a lake I can easily come in and switch out the batteries for a meal break, restroom break etc.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
I learned the important battery question when I was looking for a replacement one.

Don't look in the automotive section...

Also, consider the strength of the battery you want. There is a formula for calculating how long a battery will last during normal use.

I believe it's Voltage X Amps divided by power draw of device being used.

So a 12v 10ah battery and a fish finder that draws 8 comes out to 12X10 divided by 8, or rather 15 hours of approximate run time.

I could be wrong, but that's my rough guess at the formula I've read....
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Mac Attack

I learned the important battery question when I was looking for a replacement one.

Don't look in the automotive section...

Also, consider the strength of the battery you want. There is a formula for calculating how long a battery will last during normal use.

I believe it's Voltage X Amps divided by power draw of device being used.

So a 12v 10ah battery and a fish finder that draws 8 comes out to 12X10 divided by 8, or rather 15 hours of approximate run time.

I could be wrong, but that's my rough guess at the formula I've read....

Yup
Wrong
Sorry

It’s ah/a=h
Amp hours divided by amps = hours

So your example would be

10/8=1.25 hrs

woodsman

Have tried Cabelas, Dick's, and L.L. Bean while I'm on the road headed to my vacation destination in Maine from Indiana. All have 12 volt batteries for the big boats that are too heavy for the kayak.
Did you try "I need a battery for my portable fish finder/ice fishing depth finder at those stores?
Some less experienced employees might not know about generally out of season product.
Also ask at the counter where they sell the depth finders. Employees there may have a better knowledge.
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

taxid

Did you try "I need a battery for my portable fish finder/ice fishing depth finder at those stores?
Some less experienced employees might not know about generally out of season product.
Also ask at the counter where they sell the depth finders. Employees there may have a better knowledge.

See a few posts above. Was able to find a couple at another store. And yes some of the big box store employees aren't as knowledgable as others. 

charlys1954

You already bought what you need but if you need another in the future just get them at Walmart online or on ebay. Ebay you can get shipped to your house and Walmart you can get free shipping to you local store for pickup or pay for shipping to you house.

Last winter I bought 2 mighty max ML8-12(8a) for my Vexilar from Walmart for $31.99. It beats wasting gas driving all over looking for some. And I doubt you find them cheaper at a sports store.

Also if you don't need the higher amp battery you can get them smaller. Found one on ebay that's 1.5 amp and measures Length 3.82 Width 1.69 Height 2.28
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Max-12V-1-3Ah-EnerSys-NP1-2-12-Replacement-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery/131152888583?epid=1389591415&hash=item1e89524307:g:X5EAAOSwOmtcyHas
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

taxid

Thank you Gentlemen!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.