FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513339 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1770 on: Nov 14, 2017, 03:42 PM »

End of last week I pulled my beans and pepper plants , nice little bounty , 10 peppers and 2 lbs of beans

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1771 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:54 PM »
What's the chicken wire on the one bed for Dom?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1772 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I have my garlic in there and don't want the squirrels digging them up....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1773 on: Nov 15, 2017, 04:47 AM »
Great minds think alike I guess. I covered mine with chicken wire last season. This year I upgraded and made a cage cover for that bed.

Had my greens in there earlier in the season and did that to keep the deer out. But, now that I think about it. The top is covered with 2x4" wire and I probably should put chicken wire over it to keep the bandits out.

Also mulched mine with about 6" of ground leaves. The garlic liked it last year.

I was telling my Bride that I'm thinking of adding another bed or 2 next year. I'm thinking about truly raised beds this time. Built off the ground about 30" or so and about 3' wide by 9' long and 12" or so deep. She just shakes her head and smiles.

While we're talking gardens, do any of you folks have real success with radishes? I've tried and tried but with very marginal results. All suggestions are welcome.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1774 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:43 AM »
When I use to be a flatground gardener it was hard to cover it.   This is so much easier.  100 cloves in there and plant squash in between them in the spring..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1775 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:01 AM »
My neighbor is a "flatgrounder". Looks like a lot of work and his fences keep getting taller every year. It's starting to look like a maximum security prison over there.

I'm thinking of trying a couple planters along this line.

Except, not on wheels. On legs to bring it up to 30-36" or so. I kind of like the bottom watering idea. It would also afford the opportunity to cover it easily with fabric for pests and the early frost. I was thinking I could make the reservoir from pool liner and the grating from plastic hardware cloth.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1776 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:20 AM »
I like everything about it except the watering system...  Seems like the roots will always be wet not just from it holding  water from the system but it will hold all rain water...   Plants do like to dry out a little now and then...   They don't like there feets wet all the time....  JMO... ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1777 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Good point Dom.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1778 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Here's a few pictures of what's going on here....   4 more weeks, can't wait till it's over. Just hope there's ice when were done....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1779 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Looks busy Dom. People get a little nutz this time of year.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1780 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:52 AM »
WooHoo! Our first seed catalog was in the mail today!   :clapping:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1781 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Seeds and patio furniture in Lowes. Man, they're clearing out the light bulbs. 70% of what we had is being clearanced out. Looks like Sylvania is going bye bye. Good time to switch over to LED if you havent already.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1782 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Dont rush me, im enjoying some time off.
 ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1783 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:17 PM »
One of my miniature fruit trees has an orange on it it's first year....
Granted it's not as big as a baseball but it's a start..... ;D
The other trees had blossoms but that was it.
The old lemon tree produced 4 lemons this year...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1784 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:04 PM »
That's cool, Dom!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.