FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Possible new World Record Walleye (spearfishing)  (Read 6384 times)

appleye

Possible new World Record Walleye (spearfishing)
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Was looking around on FB last evening and came across a photo of a 17lb walleye taken on 07/14/2018 from Lake DeSmet, WY. No information was given about the photo. This morning I see that the fish was taken with a spear gun and the person who harvested the fish did so because he believed it would beat the world record. The weight on a certified scale is 17.25 lbs and beats the old record by 3 lbs. If you would like to see the photo it's on the Lake Stop's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/665096616957481/photos/a.672474839552992.1073741829.665096616957481/1317230375077432/?type=3&theater

taxid

Re: Possible new World Record Walleye (spearfishing)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Wouldn't that be illegal?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

appleye

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 11:11 AM »
It's allowed in Wy. Must be completely under water

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 02:50 PM »
That's possibly a state record but certainly NOT a world record
The NY state record was caught in may at 18.2lbs

appleye

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Looks like there is a separate category for spear fishing, which would make it a world record.

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Looks like there is a separate category for spear fishing, which would make it a world record.
That makes sense..  my bad

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Not sure how I feel about this....

Actually, I'm sure how I feel about this, I'm just not sure I want to post it....
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

fishinjohn

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:27 AM »

Actually, I'm sure how I feel about this, I'm just not sure I want to post it....
We are probably on the same page

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:35 AM »

I am actually wondering what your true feelings are. I spearfish in the Atlantic ocean so it made me wonder if you hunted also or if you only enjoyed fishing. No bashing here I am just wondering what your negative feelings are and if its specific to spearfisherman or the fact that its related to a world record.
Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:06 AM »
yeeeeup. I'm pretty much with sharps on this. Maybe if the guy speared it and then tried saying it was caught with a flyrod but there isn't anything wrong done here. But, since it is illegal to spearfish walleye in most states or even other countries walleyes swim in... I wonder how you could say it's a "world" record? Butt... I guess that's the way it goes.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Good for the spearfisherman.
He did every thing legal...
A fish that old, weather male or female is most likely dry and wont reproduced any more...  JMO......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:36 AM »
But, since it is illegal to spearfish walleye in most states or even other countries walleyes swim in... I wonder how you could say it's a "world" record? Butt... I guess that's the way it goes.

I would play devil's advocate and say that anyone who enjoys spearfishing (full disclosure, i have never been) can book a trip to waters where it's legal. Similar to those who game hunt outside their home state. Just my thoughts and personal views and in no way endorsed by MFF...

(sorry, i am a compliance officer by day)

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I am actually wondering what your true feelings are. I spearfish in the Atlantic ocean so it made me wonder if you hunted also or if you only enjoyed fishing. No bashing here I am just wondering what your negative feelings are and if its specific to spearfisherman or the fact that its related to a world record.

Hey Sharps,

I hunt far more than I fish. I enjoy everything about the outdoors and would probably love spear fishing. I just feel like it takes such skill to catch a walleye that big, especially one in Wyoming. We don't have an endless supply of Walleye here, or an endless supply of really any fish except rainbow trout. I can't say that if I caught a fish like that I wouldnt also be killing it to get it weighed and see if it was a record, but I also know that I always release the biggest of any species I catch for the next person, and because they're not good table fare anyways. I've been hearing stories for a couple years now of spear fisherman taking many walleye over 10 lbs. A very small percentage of Wyoming's already small walleye population. I assume this is growing in popularity because it's more like a trophy hunt than fishing.

Obviously there's no rule against it, and ethics is purely on an indivdual basis, but I would not be killing big walleye because I have a spear in my hand over a fishing pole....that's all. I think it's time game and fish looks at the lack of regulations it has in place for spear "fishing".
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:42 PM »
POk3s,

A taxidermist in Idaho I used to do business with told me once that walleye were thrown up on the bank in his area because they resembled a species know as "squawfish" which are not held in high regard. Is that the case? He's in the Bonner's Ferry area if that means anything.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.